S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

CAI worth it (sound-wise)

Old 01-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI worth it (sound-wise)

Looks like you won't get more than like 5hp with a CAI, not worth it for power IMO.... however, as far as sound do they sound a whole lot louder/meaner than just removing the regular airbox lid?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM

the airbox lid off is almost louder than a cai.... imo.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by $Piker' date='Jan 25 2009, 01:23 PM
the airbox lid off is almost louder than a cai.... imo.
I disagree.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Apex Surgeon' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:58 PM
I disagree.
Do you? The sound is basically coming from the throttle plate area from all that "goings on" in the intake manifold. The shorter the intake arm is, the louder it should be. That's why most short ram intakes are louder than the longer cold air ones. I would venture to say that the OEM filter (with the top off) is louder than a CAI simply due to the length of the pipe, however it's not louder than a short ram intake due to the material of the aftermarket pipe.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is based on my experience. Never had a CAI, but I've had a short ram intake (K&N FIPK) and I have run with the top of the OEM cover off before. In fact, the having the OEM cover off is louder than my FIPK.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM

At the track i dont really notice any difference between my car and the other s2000s.

My car came with a fujita cai and i havent ever had anything else on it..
Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by shamoo' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:15 PM
Do you? The sound is basically coming from the throttle plate area from all that "goings on" in the intake manifold. The shorter the intake arm is, the louder it should be. That's why most short ram intakes are louder than the longer cold air ones. I would venture to say that the OEM filter (with the top off) is louder than a CAI simply due to the length of the pipe, however it's not louder than a short ram intake due to the material of the aftermarket pipe.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is based on my experience. In fact, the having the OEM cover off is louder than my FIPK.
Took the words right out of my mouth..
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by shamoo' date='Jan 25 2009, 02:15 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is based on my experience. Never had a CAI, but I've had a short ram intake (K&N FIPK) and I have run with the top of the OEM cover off before. In fact, the having the OEM cover off is louder than my FIPK.
Yes, I do...

You do realize that plastic does a better job of absorbing noise right? Also, your K&N is plastic, correct? Aluminum intakes give off more resonance, plan and simple. I do however, agree that a short ram will most definitely be louder than a CAI, obviously due to its shorter length.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:02 PM

The noise made by a AI is hands down louder and deeper than the stock intake with the lid removed. There is still a box around the filter while the lid is off. With a CAI, nothing surrounds the filter. Hard metal does a terrible job at absorbing sound too.

Take it from me though, I'm an avid fan of the lid off method. I had a CAI once, but removed it due to water buildup. The CAI is MUCH louder.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM

Over a long period, it'll save you in gas. =)
Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the PRM intake is extremely loud in vtec (i have one waiting in my closet ready for selling)...

Quick Reply: CAI worth it (sound-wise)