S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Comptech Sc Upgrade

Old 11-09-2001, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dissention amongst the ranks? I thought everyone loved the Comptech Supercharger, I guess that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm a little surprised that so many have purchased it knowing that there are no significant power gains below VTEC. I agree with you guys, the car is pretty awesome in stock form. What it really needs is a little 'boost' in power down low, that's why I decided to go with the turbo. If you saw the overlay that Wes did of our dyno's (his and mine), I was a little surprised at the extra 50+ hp I have in the mid range, makes a huge difference in the the drivability of the car. It's nice to be going 60 mph in 6th gear and just punch it without having to downshift.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:57 AM

I like the Comptech setup. I haven't had any problems with mine. I guess after spending $4500, some people expected more low-end punch. But, I think we all knew from the outstart that the Comptech setup would not provide much boost below VTEC -- which is fine with me since I do mostly freeway driving. Those who want more low-end grunt, should go with the Turbo (which I would have done if it was out earlier than Comptech's SC).
Old 11-09-2001, 11:31 AM

I think the kit is fine. Everybody knows where it makes power. If you can`t feel a difference between stock and sc`d you better get your ass dyno recalibrated. I`ve been sc`d for 10k now w/out a single problem. Plus, when it`s time to smog, I`m covered. None of the Turbo kits for the s2k`s will receive a CARB # anytime soon. Derryk`s kit is awesome, but I live in Cali where la policia like to pop hoods

-R
Old 11-09-2001, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by derryck
I'm a little surprised that so many have purchased it knowing that there are no significant power gains below VTEC.
Are you surprised that people buy the S2000 even though it doesn't make any real power below VTEC?
Old 11-09-2001, 12:28 PM

No. Like I said, it's a phenomenal car in stock form. I just find it a little surprising that someone would spend that kind of money and not achieve what I consider to be considerable performance gains throughtout. Sure it's faster in VTEC but that wasn't (IMO) the area that needed addressing. The car was pretty strong in VTEC and on the highway already why just work on personifying that, why not make it better? I could have spent $1,000 on on a nitrous set up on an RPM switch and gain considerably more power. Granted, nitrous doesn't offer the versatility of the SC but if all that you're after is more power in that range, then why not?
Old 11-09-2001, 01:08 PM

Also, please keep in mind that everybody drives their s2k different. Derryk might rape 100% of us in a straight line but it would be a nightmare on a road course IMO (not a shot at Derryk, I dont wanna argue all day haha).
Old 11-09-2001, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by demonderrick
[B]"As for difficulties: my MAP sensor check/blow-off valve always sticks the first 3-4 times you drive over 4500rpm when the car is cold. Very annoying. I have gone between the check-valve and the "electronic Ghostbooster" sever times with the electronic solution MUCH more reliable. I also have a major 5000rpm resonance vibration from the plastic/CF airfilter box. I tried to isolate the bok from the body with rubber sheeting and rubber grommets on the hardware but it still makes noise. I also am on my second alternator bracket because the first one cracked. The second bracket has started to crack as well... "

That is what Shaner has told me about the difficulties of his Comptec SC on his car..
Old 11-09-2001, 01:48 PM

It's time to mention the video that shows stock vs SC S. That's what sold me on the SC and after installation, I'm smiling every time I take a drive. Sorry I don't have the link, but find it, watch it, and start saving your money.

No adjustments. No guages. No tuning. Just bolt it up, carefully hook up those little hoses (most common problem), crank her up, reset your clock (from disconnecting the battery if you're careful) and enjoy.

Just got back from a ride in the country. Only VTEC'ed a couple of times getting on the freeway headed back to town. When you're coming up the ramp and you step on it.......... Well, you can only know if you've been there!

If I hadn't bought the SC, I'd still be waiting in line for my order to be filled. It's my second best investment in this car. The first was the car. I'd never be satisfied driving a stock S now that I know what SC is like.

Enough raving....I'm not meaning to cast dispersion on those without SC, but just making the point that I am very satisfied with the performance of the car. I didn't expect to come out with a Vette, I expected a car that sings where the others choke - above 6K! That's where this car is at it's best. Why try to change that?
Old 11-09-2001, 02:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]
Sure it's a blast between 6000 and 9000 rpm... but if I had to do it over again, I would not have SCed the car, changed the headers, etc... and kept the stock coilovers.

Hindsight is very very clear.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:06 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

LOL

Quick Reply: Comptech Sc Upgrade