S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Crashed My S2000 Today~! Who's at Fault???

Old 12-15-2003, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spin or the impact with the bank could easily have caused the tire to come off the rim. Was that the first time you took the car up to highway speed with the mismatched rears? Unequal amounts of grip, or a damaged/locked-up differential could have caused the spin. Sorry to hear this happened, but I don't see how it's TireRack's fault.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redhurley
I looked at my left rear wheel and see that half of my tire has come off my rim.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Waterbug
Glad to hear you are alright, but you probably should have put the 16 on the front right and put your 17 front right on the front rear just like you do with the spare tire when you get a flat on the rear. It says to do this in the manual to avoid damage to the rear-differential, which makes sense.
That's necessary because the rolling diameter of the spare is very different from the rolling diameter of the rear tire. If the 16 and 17 had such a large difference in diameters, the tire shop certainly would not have told him it's okay to drive like that. If the problem does indeed lie with having mismatched sizes in back, the tire shop may have some liability here. In the end, though, you are ultimately responsible for your own choices.

We need to find out what happened first. Can you describe the vibrations you felt? How fast were you going?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by payneinthe
Can you describe the vibrations you felt?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
Old 12-15-2003, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by payneinthe
Old 12-15-2003, 01:56 PM

I realize a lot of you are pointing out driver/user error, I am not denying this at this point, since the cause of the accident hasn't been investigated yet. My view of the reason just comes from what I have heard from people I've talked to: Manager at America's Tire Co (who told me that it had to be either a blown tire, or an unbalanced one that would make it come off the rim like that), co-workers in Nissan Consumer Affairs Arbitration Dept (we deal w/ similar situations everyday), car-savvy friends. They've all told me that a wheel w/ less than an inch in height difference (that estimate I got when I put them the 16" next to the 17" wheel the other day), shouldn't cause the other side's tire to come off of the rim.

I don't know, I guess this is just a wait-and-see situation, once I hear from my insurance claims officer, and when I get a diagnosis on the damaged rim and tire as to what caused it.

My poor car no more anytime soon.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:05 PM

I wonder if the different sized tires caused the differential to overheat and seize. This caused your spin and this caused the tire to come off the rim? In any case, the main thing is that you're ok, cars can be replaced.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:05 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that there is an attorney near you who will be happy to make your acquaintance. If Tire rack damaged your right tire and there is evidence that similar damage was done to the left tire, they will have some explaining to do.

Your explanation of the vibration and subsequent wobbling of the backend from side to side would lead me to believe that you had lost pressure (blowout) in one of the rear tires. I would definetly be seeking some professional assistance. You need to get custody of both of those tires immediately. Go get them, dont rely on the shops to keep an eye on them for you.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 1,295 Likes on 789 Posts

Pics of the wheels would help. The wheel pulling hard to the right sound like you had some major mechanical problem. Very tough to say what happened. I will say that balancing is a very unlikely cause of what happened.

Quick Reply: Crashed My S2000 Today~! Who's at Fault???