S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Crashed My S2000 Today~! Who's at Fault???

Old 12-15-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by douge
There is no doubt in my mind that there is an attorney near you who will be happy to make your acquaintance. If Tire rack damaged your right tire and there is evidence that similar damage was done to the left tire, they will have some explaining to do.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by billman250
Pics of the wheels would help. The wheel pulling hard to the right sound like you had some major mechanical problem. Very tough to say what happened. I will say that balancing is a very unlikely cause of what happened.

i'll have pics up tonight when i get back from work. as for any major mechanical problems, about 2k miles ago I had the car serviced and inspected at my honda dealer, and they didn't state anything. i've never had any problems w/ this car mechanically speaking, or anything for that matter. we'll see if the rear differential came into play when i get the estimate and diagnosis tomorrow.

thanks for everyones help so far

Old 12-15-2003, 02:35 PM

RedHurley, I'm really sorry to here about your wreck. It must have been frightening and you must feel terrible about all the damage. I hope you get everything fixed up quickly.

I have to say though that you sound like you are looking for somebody else to blame, and most if not all of the responsibility is yours. You might want to do an in-depth investigation to figure out the exact cause for personal satisfaction, but I'm pretty sure cruising down the freeway in a rear-wheel drive, limited slip differential sports car with rear tires of different sizes has a lot to do with the cause. Unfortunately it sounds like you're looking for someone else to pay.

You might want to just let your insurance pay and chock it up to experience and knowledge gained.

It's possible that a mounted tire was out of balance but I have never heard of loss of control due to that in itself. Streets and highways are LITTERED with wheel weights that have fallen off, and if that caused accidents, well, there would be a lot more wrecks out there.

The worst case of out-of-balance I have ever experienced was when it was combined with a broken shock--at certain speeds the tire started hopping. But the car was completely controllable.

Hopefully you will get things taken care of, but I also hope you assume responsibility for your actions and decisions.

Good luck and sorry for your circumstances.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin
I wonder if the different sized tires caused the differential to overheat and seize.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin
I wonder if the different sized tires caused the differential to overheat and seize.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:54 PM

anyone know, does this give my car a salvaged title since they took a police report, or how does that work? just curious
Old 12-15-2003, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by redhurley
anyone know, does this give my car a salvaged title since they took a police report, or how does that work?
Old 12-15-2003, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Euclid
Old 12-15-2003, 03:21 PM

I agree with Colin regarding the differential seizing and this will not be too hard to determine on autopsy (of the car). The other very distinct possibility is that with all this wheel swopping, lug nuts came loose. Don't ask me how I know what this feels like, but it is first hand experience. I would check this out as well if the car has not been disturbed too much.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andymlow
The other very distinct possibility is that with all this wheel swopping, lug nuts came loose.

Quick Reply: Crashed My S2000 Today~! Who's at Fault???