S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do You Have These Problems With Your Soft Top?

Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Do You Have These Problems With Your Soft Top?

I've recently noticed 2 problems with my '02 top. I noticed that a hole has formed exactly like the one below. I am not sure what the root cause of this wear is, but I suspect that it may be linked to the 2nd problem I'm having (also below).

This occurs every time I put the top up. There doesn't seem to be anything about the window or fabric that is any different from the other side, but it does it every time. This has only been happening for about 10 days.

I suspect that both of these problems may be caused by my worn out elastic straps that go between the role hoops to help it fold properly. Just in case, I went ahead and ordered Modifry's elastic strap kit.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

I went ahead and took a couple more pics of the wear holes and elastic strap. The holes in the top are caused by something scratching or pinching from the inside. I have tried to slow the growth of the holes by using duct tape (unsuccessfully).

Here is the strap on the passenger side. As you can see, it has some visible wear too. However, the main problem is that it isn't stretchy anymore, so it doesn't perform any function. It is just hanging.

Here is just another view of the strap (left) and taped up wear hole.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woodwork is actually looking into resolving this through Honda. It has been several months since I have heard anything from him though, so I don't know his progress.

If it is this worn out strap that is causing the top to pinch between the metal hoops, then it is Honda's design flaw and they should replace these damaged tops under a recall. Mine has the same holes as yours and in the exact same position also.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:35 PM

Modifry says in the link you provided (thanks, BTW, I bookmarked that one!) that he'd only successfully done this to the older cars with the plastic rear windows. He wasn't sure if it would work with the glass rear window.

Personally, I don't see that it would make much difference, however, you never know.

Do you know if he's confirmed that this is an Ok mod for those of us with glass rear windows and if not, please let us know how your modification works out. My car is still very new and as far as I can tell, the top works perfectly. I'm only thinking ahead, just in case.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:11 PM

oh man that looks bad! didn't knoe the 02s had probs. Try my silicon method instead of the tape belive me it works!!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:29 PM

i have an 02 and i can see some abrasions on both sides of my top in the exact same location as your wear holes. i can't figure out what the hell is causing this as it seems that one of the ribs for the top is the only thing that touches that spot. since those ribs are round i dont understand how they could have caused those abrasions. i definitely don't have the same problem with the window as you do however. i'm gonna check my elastic straps later on and see if they're all stretched like yours.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:58 PM

I have a MY00 and I have wear holes in similar spots. However, I didn't notice any wear or stretching on any of the straps.

I did put patches over the wear marks as suggested by SilverKnight.

Overall this is pretty disappointing for a vehicle with only 12000 miles on it.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:13 PM

how are those patches holding up? hopefully they will now pad your marks
Old 07-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jul 21 2004, 06:11 PM
oh man that looks bad! didn't knoe the 02s had probs. Try my silicon method instead of the tape belive me it works!!
What is the silicone method?

I ordered a 300mm X 300mm piece of Honda soft top material, so that I can cut a strip and glue it onto the inside. I can't find the glue that Honda specifies (Sunstar 332), so I figure I will use Shoe Goop.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a MY00.

Had my top replaced once by Honduh already, as a one-time courtesy.

I have been yelling about this design flaw since the first day I saw the wear issues and the eventual hole in the top on both sides. There is a half-moon shaped plastic shield on the inside of the top that rubs whenever it is folded. Since I put my top up and down alot (about 4 times a day), the wear is accelerated.

I had the new top reinforced with patches of extra material, as a possible fix. Unfortunately, the wear holes are forming again on the new top. Ugh. This is CLEARLY a design flaw.

However, Honduh continues to use a similar design and has not acknowledged the flaw, so eventually most cars will experience the same thing I'm afraid.

Until Honduh does something across the board, we will be stuck trying to remedy it on a one-by-one basis.

Good Luck to us all!
Hockey

Quick Reply: Do You Have These Problems With Your Soft Top?