S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do You Have These Problems With Your Soft Top?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My top is ripping on both sides down at the bottom where it meets the door pillar. I havn't experienced the wear on the top corners like that but from the outside you look at my top and its ripping on both sides and Honda Care denied me replacement even though its a defect. I found out its some type of metal or something that causes the rip that's inside the soft top. I hate my soft top its so ugly because of the ripping
Old 07-22-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jul 21 2004, 05:13 PM
how are those patches holding up? hopefully they will now pad your marks
So far so good.

It's very disappointing that I have to use patches to fix what Honda didn't do right in the first place.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently put an '02 glass top on my '01 frame. It was imperative for the final bar placement during closure that supplemental elastic strappings be riveted into place to draw the final bar up towards the next frame bar (and away from the glass window as it folded down). So I can assure you that replacing your "dead" elastic would be fine.

Additionally, looks to me like your very first picture offers some clue to your tear/wear... With the top up, but perhaps not closed completely, feel over the top of your final frame bar at those bent joints. Check for burrs or edged-kinks in the metal frame there. Sure looks like something from the frame...right at that flattened angled area...is chewing on the vinyl top more than necessary.

As for the pics of whats happening with the bottom edge of your glass window frame...... Hmm...that sucks biggie & I cannot recall any members griping about that problem. Looks like you need to do some actual super-glue or very permanent adhesive work to bring that piece of trim back down into place flush with the glass (perhaps it might be worth checking into with a glass replacement company...as far as the materials they use to glue/adhese replacement windshields into place?). But until that's fixed, I can imagine that trim will just keep grabbing the top as it unfolds each and every time. Worse yet, with the initial pressure/tension on that trim that seems to be applied once top is fully up, I'd suspect the trim will continue to pull away another inch or so if not remedied.

Good luck!

- Dave
Old 07-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,Jul 22 2004, 09:44 AM
My top is ripping on both sides down at the bottom where it meets the door pillar. I havn't experienced the wear on the top corners like that but from the outside you look at my top and its ripping on both sides and Honda Care denied me replacement even though its a defect. I found out its some type of metal or something that causes the rip that's inside the soft top. I hate my soft top its so ugly because of the ripping
Mine has both the bottom and top rips. I really hope WoodWork pushes Honda to fix this.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by allkingz,Jul 22 2004, 07:48 AM
So far so good.

It's very disappointing that I have to use patches to fix what Honda didn't do right in the first place.
good to hear man. Its been high 80s here and high 90s coming up and mine is on rock solid and its absorbing the plastic piece no prob and is very flexible The fabric I used was thicker then our softtop so I'n not worried at all about any more marks. Did you use the silicon method?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Jul 22 2004, 05:33 AM
What is the silicone method?

I ordered a 300mm X 300mm piece of Honda soft top material, so that I can cut a strip and glue it onto the inside. I can't find the glue that Honda specifies (Sunstar 332), so I figure I will use Shoe Goop.
Don't use glue that might be to stiff and might come off with heat. I posted all the info in another thread probably 1 or 2 pages back
Old 07-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jul 22 2004, 06:44 PM
Don't use glue that might be to stiff and might come off with heat. I posted all the info in another thread probably 1 or 2 pages back
I think you have your threads confused. There are no "1 or 2 pages back". You haven't posted anything about your silicone method in this thread. BTW, Goop is a very flexible glue made for shoes. I think it is silicone based.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:16 PM

no gernby i meant 1 or 2 pages back in this forum You can find it any auto part store also!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jul 22 2004, 04:42 PM
good to hear man. Its been high 80s here and high 90s coming up and mine is on rock solid and its absorbing the plastic piece no prob and is very flexible The fabric I used was thicker then our softtop so I'n not worried at all about any more marks. Did you use the silicon method?
I had some extra vinyl material laying around that I used to test different adhesives with. I also took the time to test different adhesives in hot and cold temperaturees. I ended up using hot glue.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for posting those clear pictures of the damage, Gernby. I'm going to go check my bar for burrs in the morning. I think wingman's post above has probably got it right.

Any idea what the elastics are actually supposed to do?

FWIW, I don't know if 2 years is really so outrageous for a soft-top. I would've expected more like 5-10, but I drive the S2000 most of the year, and I put the top up and down at least twice (both ways) a day -- usually more. Anyway, I hope Honda does do something about it.

Maybe you should get a blue top replacement, Gernby?

Quick Reply: Do You Have These Problems With Your Soft Top?