S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do You Know How To Drive Your Car?

Old 11-16-2001, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually don't know the limits of the car yet, but I do know my own limits. There have been countless times during some drives that I've slowed way down and didn't try to keep up with better drivers ahead of me. I'm planning on taking a performance driving school in the future to get closer to the limits of the car.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:59 AM

i can say confidently i've found the limits of my car and i think i drive it to it's limits without going over
Old 11-16-2001, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElTianti
[B]No matter how good you are or how good your car is, if you drive at the limit
Old 11-16-2001, 12:04 PM

I agree with Mindcore on this one...go to a local autox...here are a few links in your next of the woods

http://www.nasaracing.net/
http://www.vmsc.org/

excellent newbie autox info
http://www.autox4u.com/novice.htm

Good Luck
Old 11-16-2001, 12:18 PM

No...but I am learning...
Old 11-16-2001, 01:03 PM

Take that wild side to a performance driving school and let the instructor teach you how to drive.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:12 PM

As Mindcore and Doug have already stated, go to an autocross. This is where you find the limit and then exceed it in a safe and relatively harmless situation. I feel that regular autoxers are probably the best prepared out of ANY drivers to handle dangerous situations on public roads. Autocrossing teaches you the limits of traction, handling characteristics, and calm smooth inputs under quick and tight courses. You think you're a good driver, prove it at your local autox!
Old 11-16-2001, 01:18 PM
JRM

Damit, I'd say yes, but it's been so long since my wife let me drive it , I think I've lost my edge. Oh yea, that reminds me, I really hate people who remind me how little I get to drive my own car!!!
Old 11-16-2001, 03:18 PM

I was also interested in knowing the views of folks in regards to the "How close to the cars limits" do you want to stay on a regular basis"? My own comparison is that I own a sportbike and it's abilities exceed my own. I on occasion will push my own limits on some days, but it seems as I get older a little voice as gotten a bit louder saying BACK OFF! I use to not hear that suggestion so well, but now I pay a lot more attention to it. I try to be quick within my self imposed limits so that I can enjoy the quickness yet stay (hopefully) out of trouble. This leads to another question. How many of you carry on a dialog with yourself when your in the ZONE of spirited driving? Kind of like talking yourself through the proper apex of a curve, or checking for traffic situations/road conditions?
Old 11-16-2001, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely need a performance driving school. While I've owned RWD cars for many years and pushed them rather hard, the S2k has really brought to my attention that I do not know:

- some basic driving skills (counter steering, braking, etc.)
- how to walk the edge, go over, and come back
- how to anticipate the edge on the street

I would say that AutoX is probably safer than the track, in so much as that most tracks have areas where you can hit tires, barriers, walls, cars, etc. While I have not (yet) been to one, most AutoX seem to take place in large parking lots with the largest obsticals being warning cones.

Still, you can learn a lot at a track in a safe manner if you start out slow and easy and work your way up. Also, I've found that if I go to the track every now and again I don't have to push the car on the street, keeping myself and others a bit safer, plus avoiding potential tickets

Quick Reply: Do You Know How To Drive Your Car?