S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fix or pass?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix or pass?

I bought this 2000 AP1 for $3800 from a local tow yard. It only has 103k miles, but as you can see has some damage from a collision with a truck. The frame rails aren’t bent, just smashed from the front as shown in the pics. I just picked up a new core support cut from a junkyard and just need to weld it now. You guys think I should just continue pushing and try to fix this thing 100% or just drop it and part it out/sell it. It’s my first ever project car, and I’m also having a hard time trying to figure out what all needs replaced.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s some details on the car (just to give you guys a better understanding of the position I’m in)
-103,000 on the odometer.
-car starts and runs (haven’t fixed it enough to test drive it yet)
-clean red interior
-just bought brand new battery for it
-ALL electrical on the interior works.
-soft top is in great condition.
-engine and trans are healthy

Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

hmotorsonline.com is a shop that is in Cali that sells entire front clips for the S2000 from Japan. It would probably be a direct bolt-in, and they are less than the price of a used JDM motor. It would probably have all you need. They are a very good shop to work with... I've done business with them for almost 15 years now.

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/f...nd-conversion/ - $1600 plus shipping. Ask if they have your specific color, or will soon. They have done requests for me in the distant past.

Edit: Also, is that an AP2 motor? I see the gold spark plug cover. Check for the motor code on the driver's side of the block, that could be a considerable find if it is.

Last edited by VashTheStampede; 03-08-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Motor.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good opportunity to have a RHD s2k, its worth the investment IMO.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Jub

Received 387 Likes on 310 Posts

I never understood the move to RHD and probably never will. I also see it as the antithesis of an investment as suggested above. The car at hand looks pretty good to me and you could definitely make money off of parting it out. I think you should get a compression and leakdown test before making a decision. After that, do you want an S2000 or to make money? You have the option of either if the engine checks out. I'm sure it's fine but I'd hope they shut the car down shortly after since all the coolant would have leaked out. May also be worth having a good body shop verify frame straightness if it hasn't already been done.

In terms of rebuilding, I'm against RHD and think it would make it way more expensive than it is worth and make the chance of you ever finishing almost non-existent. However, RHD has no appeal to me and I'd pay extra to have mine not RHD. Price out getting a front clip versus other sources for parts. Idk if a JDM core support is different from USDM. You will likely have to do some adjusting to the headlights if you use JDM headlights. Either way, I'd be looking to find used OEM parts and plan to paint even if it has already been painted. If you are set on buying new, airbags are super expensive. They alone will likely make it not worth to rebuild if you went that route. If you're willing to risk ebay airbags, they may not be too expensive.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just an FYI, I have no ****ing clue where RHD came into this, as the hmotorsonline link I posted is for the body, hood, electrical bits only. No RHD conversion. That would be stupid, and a waste of money. OP, it’s simply cost efficient to purchase all the parts in one go as I suggested... and it doesn’t convert your car to right hand drive.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Good price on the pickup, but the money is in parting out. The engine/trans combos seem to be going for about what you paid for the whole car, maybe a little more. You might say the interior is in good condition, but my 02 with 187K miles has seats in better shape than the pictures. With the airbags popped, and a salvage title that this would have, I see making a ton of profit on this for a rebuild would be folly.

Also, Definitely no to RHD conversion. I you want to limit your buyers of an already small salvage title market, go for it.