S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Future Classic?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Future Classic?

Old 02-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 00' with 90k (I bought it with 83k) and recently switched the insurance over to Grundy as a collectible for $274 a year with full coverage and no deductible. I don't think it's hit the sell/buyers market yet, but I'm forecasting that the values are going to start going up. Especially on low mileage AP1's. I've also collected some rare aftermarket parts and have kept all of the OEM parts that have come off of the car for the future. Values for modified cars aren't going to hold as well as stock, but if you do have a modified S2000 and want to sell it in the future (assuming that it does become a collectible classic) the value will be higher if it's being sold with the stock parts. Of course, there are always exceptions with aftermarket parts that somehow become sought after and valuable to enthusiasts. I picked up a gutted 510 2dr about 8 years ago and was pretty far along with a track build when a father/son in Texas contacted me about buying it to run in a vintage series. The car had most of the stock parts and a lot of period aftermarket and custom parts that are very hard to find. I remember it because the same car now would have fetched quite a bit more in the 510 community and I feel that the S2000 is going to go that same route.

Another example is Japanese classic motorcycles. I have a 75' CB400F race bike from the original owner who raced it since new and parked it in 80'. It's got a lot of parts that are no longer being produced and very, very hard to find. I restored it to track condition and have contacts in Japan reporting that similar bikes are selling in the $9k range. Here in the states it's worth about half of that within the AHRMA and classic enthusiast communities. But as history has shown, it's only a matter of time before the same trends hit the states. Who knows for sure though....
Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with an S2000 as a collectible is that apart from very rare circumstances, It's only what I'd see as a "collectible for drivers to avoid loss if you sell it". If you have a good condition fairly low miles example, you can drive it for years (not too much) and it'll hold value or appreciate slightly.

The only S2000s that will make money will be the ultra low mile examples (sub 20K). Costs to insure, inflation, storage, etc, will essentially negate profit on anything with higher miles. Anything modified to the point where it can't easily be returned to stock or in any type of beat up condition will just be a track car or drivers car, like with most brands/models and will never have a particularly high value unless you're looking for that specific set of mods pre-installed AND another buyer is willing to fight you on price (bidding war).

BAT is a pretty good barometer of this stuff and S2000 prices are really flat other than those ultra low mile cars.

https://bringatrailer.com/honda/s2000/

Almost 4 years and no real change.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The S2000 is a much better investment being enjoyed and driven than kept in storage awaiting significant appreciation.

Invest in happiness.
The following 2 users liked this post by cenix:
JasonMG (02-02-2019), LagunaPearlAP2 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cenix
The S2000 is a much better investment being enjoyed and driven than kept in storage awaiting significant appreciation.

Invest in happiness.
Very well said and I agree. There will always be people on both sides of the fence but at this point in my life I just want to enjoy every minute I am still here. I have always been known to only drive a car that is fully detailed. If I put that kind of work into the car, people are going to see me in it whenever the weather allows.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Very well said and I agree. There will always be people on both sides of the fence but at this point in my life I just want to enjoy every minute I am still here. I have always been known to only drive a car that is fully detailed. If I put that kind of work into the car, people are going to see me in it whenever the weather allows.
Me too! But I would rather spend my time driving it than detailing it.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

This car in 10 year will be going for money, not just the low mileage ones. It will be hard to find clean examples or if they are out there, most will be holding in stead of selling. As others up there had said, enjoy your time with the car. The amount of money to be made isn’t worth the amount of fun you could have had driving it.