S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Good lease???

Old 02-13-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm tracking with you (moneymarker) on your angle, but i'm always worried when all of the facts are discussed. i firmly believe that the majority (at least 50%) of lessees get screwed on the buy side. either with a crap-ass money factor or dealer add ons that are not clearly disclosed until the doc is presented for signing. hell i leased my s2000 about a month ago... the crook in the finance office told me that the payment was going to be in the high $700's for 36 months with $2K down. i almost decked him. he had added a service contract, rustproofing, +/- .00625 mf, and a bunch of other crap. homework helps ALOT. honda provide a decent calculator right on their website. other people think that they are getting screwed because they got into a deal that wasn't right for them and/or they didn't understand the specifics. excess miles cost $$, damage costs $$, dispo fees are for real, etc. etc. etc...

honda's captive finance company offers high resids, reasonable mf's and generous turn-in allowances. i have found that most captive's are pretty decent to work with. when i lurk on boards like this, i always see people trying to "get-out" of their leases. they've gone over on miles or want the newest/flashiest coupe or maybe they just agreed to a really bad deal. check out www.swapalease.com if you want to some really messed up arrangements. especially on the s2k. 72 month leases OUCH!!!! the total of the payments should have scared the crap out of the lessee! like i always say NEGATIVE EQUITY KILLS. ADM KILLS! OUT OF WARRANTY LEASING KILLS! leasing isn't an excuse for not getting the best deal possible.

personally, i use the lease as a tool that helps to force me to be responsible with my toys. i know the cost of getting out of a lease is HUGE and having a convertible with a 9K redline in a couple of years won't be soooo bad. :-)
Old 02-13-2003, 11:42 AM

Leasing is NOT renting. Since when can you RENT an apartment and say after 2 years.... ok I want all my payments to be counted towards buying the aparment. I have leased a few cars and havent gotten burned. Hell...im leasing my 03 S right now.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:04 PM

Man, those F & I guys are the worst, huh!?! I agree that regardless of purchase or lease, the key is to know exactly what's in that contract you're about to sign. I know it can be intimidating to read that whole thing, especially when they want to rush you, but it's essential to read it and ask questions. If you don't, it's your wallet's funeral, and you'd better absolutely love the car, 'cuz you might just be stuck with it!

At any rate, I respect those of you who are inclined to be responsible about your toys. There's certainly nothing "wrong" with pragmatism. I guess I just lean a little towards the "you only live once" philosophy.