S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I hate the snow

Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mastervtec, you never sieze to amaze me. Another new car?!?!

I'm from the Legend forums too =)

aka vboy
Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Did you buy an S2000?? Or do you have a black RL? Either way, hello!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM

still have the RL, looking to buy an s2k when i find a job.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wintersports M3's 225 FTW! SO2's shouldn't be driven on dry roads when it's <40F, I wouldn't even imagine trying it with even a light dusting of snow on the roads
Old 01-17-2007, 06:49 AM

I just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpine's yesterday... It's like a night and day comparison. I had the S parked last winter and got a beater. Well, this year the beater died, and there was not much snow coming down here in Toronto, so I figured I could drive the S on stock summer tires and just be careful.

I was wrong. As someone posted above, I too got stuck in a snow storm on the highway. I was going 40km/h on the highway with my 4-way blinkers on.

When I first drove the S on the new snow tires I was amazed at how stable the car became. I have excellent traction and the rear end doesn't kick out anymore! This car is actually fun and a pleasure to drive in winter conditions now.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by gti2000,Jan 17 2007, 09:49 AM
I just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpine's yesterday... It's like a night and day comparison. I had the S parked last winter and got a beater. Well, this year the beater died, and there was not much snow coming down here in Toronto, so I figured I could drive the S on stock summer tires and just be careful.

I was wrong. As someone posted above, I too got stuck in a snow storm on the highway. I was going 40km/h on the highway with my 4-way blinkers on.

When I first drove the S on the new snow tires I was amazed at how stable the car became. I have excellent traction and the rear end doesn't kick out anymore! This car is actually fun and a pleasure to drive in winter conditions now.
Agreed I have the same tires...I'm from The waterloo region. The other day when there was lots of ice/snow...I had no troubles or spinning with the tires.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:55 PM

S2000 with Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S (all seasons) let you drive on most anything. I take my car to the pass for skiing as long as it is not actively snowing a ton. Good grip on packed snow and even icy 520 this past week during all the new snow storms. Just need to drive gently and smart. S0-2 and RE 050 should never see a snow flake, tires make all the difference.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM

I might as well chime in about my experiences too. I'm running Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on the front and M3's on the rear. With about 3 inches of powder snow on the ground the only problem I had was moving from a stop. One day it rained and melted the snow, and by the time I was driving home there were a few patches of ice on the road, but no snow. I took a turn going about 23-25 MPH and unexpectedly started sliding. I corrected fairly quickly with no problems. My car wiggled a bit every once in a while after that.

Another night I was driving in a fairly icy freeway road with little snow. Even on the slightest hint of letting off the gas (or engine braking), I would fishtail. I corrected by slightly counter-steering and giving it a little gas. With the amount of cars that were on the road I immediately took the nearest off-ramp because I didn't want to risk anything. I had no idea what I was going to do when I take the off-ramp because it was just as icy. What I did was I'd let off the gas some to slow down, then gas it and counter-steer to correct my fishtail, and I'd repeat that process until I eventually came to a stop. It was pretty scary. I learned a couple things from that night. Engine braking is more ideal on snowy roads than regular braking, but once you engine brake on ice, you MAY be asking for trouble. I say may because I'm not sure how much it'll take to actually spin the car, and I didn't want to try then because there were still quite a few cars on the road and I don't trust what they do if I come spinning towards them.