S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

LATCH RATTLE FIX.......DIY

Old 03-31-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll use my old mouse pad and give it a try, that latch drives me nuts.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donjaime,Mar 31 2006, 06:27 PM
Thank you for the write up and pictures SIIK2NR.
Just a quick question--does the EPT sealant have an adhesive surfact to it on one side (the side that is apposed to the brownish paper in the picture above)? If so, does this have any purpose?
I'm curious if any soft & springy material would work (ex: a bone sponge (i think that's what it's called--you know, the ones that don't get hard when there's no water inside them), which costs 99 cents or so and would last you and several fellow S2k owners a lifetime!!).
Sorry for the long post...i've been away from my S and from home for a while, so i haven't been able to check the anatomy of the latch closely with my own eyes.
Yes the EPT sealant has adhesive on the one side.. it's tacky but not super strong adhesive.

The sealant is used for many small odds and end fixes and is not just for the S2000 latches. When stuffing it into the latch....the placement of the sticky side is not important.

Other material could be used such as the sponge you mentioned... but FWIW why not use the material that they suggest so that you don't stuff sponge in there for nothing.

Regardless...anything is better than nothing I suppose. Give it a try, others have used other products and apparently had positive results.

Tim
Old 03-31-2006, 09:39 PM

SIIK2NR, this an excellent DIY fix-it write up. I had the same problem on the passenger side for some times and just fixed it last week.

Instead of using the EPT Sealant, I used one of those refrigerator magnets (i.e. magnetic realtor's business card for its thickness) and measure/trace the rectangular size of the inside metal piece, cut it out, then stuff all the way down in-between the metal piece and outside plastic piece. The thin magnetic business card serves as a padding between the two pieces that caused the noise. I then used wide-width & thick scotch tape to put right over the two pieces. So far the result has been great w/no noises since. I will eventually have to apply the Shin-etsu grease.

Mark
Old 04-01-2006, 08:43 AM

Thanks, Tim.
Wow, the resourcefulness of the group is pretty neat (referring to the magnetic business card!!!).
Old 04-01-2006, 04:29 PM

NOW, if someone could only post a STICKY written just like this on how to stop the clicking noise from the soft top rack(over the drivers left ear) when the roof is up. I'd buy that for a dollar.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:52 PM

Great thread! Thanks a million
Old 04-01-2006, 07:45 PM

I love free mods!

I had some 1'' adhesive velcro squares that I folded together and stuffed in there and it worked great. With the left over I put it on that contact point where the mechanism touches (from the other thread). Now my top is totally silent! It felt like I was driving with a hardtop

Now the only other rattles and squeaks in my car is the seat rubbing against the back (im 6'0 and its all the way back, got a fix for this?) , and my sunglasses nosepiece that I have attached a clip on thingy.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2K'ing-IN-Spokane,Apr 1 2006, 09:29 PM
NOW, if someone could only post a STICKY written just like this on how to stop the clicking noise from the soft top rack(over the drivers left ear) when the roof is up. I'd buy that for a dollar.
If it is a slight ticking, this is probably your cure:

https://www.s2ki.com/stor/library/TSB/a03-023/index.htm

In addition to the rattle latch fix, I had to do the lithium grease on the pivot points as well. White lithium (available at Home Depot) is good because it lasts and is thick, and is bad because it is thick and hard to get into the tight joints. Took a little work and care but fixed the clicking for me.

If it works for you, I want my dollar.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 AM

If you have a hobby shop that sells airplanes in the area you can also get this EPT from them although it will probably be white in color.

In the hobby industry, this stuff is called: Latex Foam Rubber. It is used to wrap components to protect them from vibration and shock such as the radio receiver and other senstive electronics.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...oam&FVPROFIL=++

Most full service hobby shops will have this stuff.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

THis needs to be a sticky, imo. Great write-up. My left side latch rattles like its sending Morse Code!! I am now on a search for EPT Sealant!

Quick Reply: LATCH RATTLE FIX.......DIY