S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Life expectancy of the F20C?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First it should be said that I'm a Honda a fan, and will be little bit biased. With that out of the way...
Honda is not a car company, or a motorcycle company first... It's a motor company first. And its engine development is as good as any ones from the bottom to the top of the range (if not the best). Honda expects you to drive their cars, and better yet people buy Honda's to drive them and log miles like they would never think to do for any other manufacturer, (cept' maybe Toyota). It's one of the few times I've ever heard this statement after I told my friend I had just bought my hatch with a 114k on it. " A hundred fourteen thousand?", he says. "Oh its just getting broke in". Now at 215k plus I've had one problem with it, the coil stopped working. Honda's, even at the entry level aren't like a Saturn, Geo, Pinto, or some other low on the rung model developed by other car manufacturers. And I think that's why they (Honda's) have a history of holding value.
I started with Honda bikes, and am well acquainted with high revving long lasting engines. I know of motorcycles with more than a 100k on them and have been passed around through friends and family.
The F20C carries with it all of Honda's build, reliability, and passion, and with proper maintenance I don't see why it won't last as long as any other motor Honda makes. As a matter of fact it kinda seems kinda silly to doubt its longevity when there are so many examples to the contrary. Its not a bad question, or one that shouldn't be asked, but it does (at least my mind) make me ask, what prompts this question? LOL it makes me question the question.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

145k with 10k miles on the turbo. Still running strong.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MattsS2K
I believe our S2k blocks have a teflon lined sleeve

Actually, we have something better than that. The F20C uses FRM (Fiber Reinforced Metal) liners. It's a composite material of carbon fibers embedded in aluminum oxide ceramic (The same stuff they make spark plug insulators out of). I know Honda has been using Nikasil (A nickel-silicone composite) liners in the motorcycles for years which is incredibly hard wearing. I would assume that the carbon-ceramic matrix is even harder wearing. I know it has superior heat transfer characteristics.

Another great innovation is the aluminum ladder-type main bearing carrier. Most car engines just use simple bearing caps. The bearing support of the F20C looks very tough, and I understand that it also increases engine rigidity signifigantly. It contains the main bearings and oil passages for their lubrication. It's like having a two piece block with the crank mounted rigidly in the middle. Really impressive stuff. It gives me a lot of confidence in the botton end.
Hard wearing, advanced composite cylinder liners, forged steel and heat treated connecting rods and crankshaft, and an incredibly strong main bearing "girdle" are what sounds to me like a very durable motor. Even camshaft wear will be nonexistant as the F20C uses low-friction roller-bearing rocker arms. The cam lobe acts on a rollers mounted midway between the rocker-arm pivot and the valve. The rollers spin on roller-element bearings for minimal friction. According to Honda, this reduces valvetrain friction by 71%. As far as I know, the F20C is the first engine to utilize this feature. Subaru changed their 2.5 liter boxer 4 from DOHC to SOHC in order to reduce valvetrain friction. I like Honda's idea a lot better!
Anyway, I'm certainly impressed and proud to own a car with such advanced racing technology. An awesome car and an awesome motor to build on...

Best regards,
Matt
WOW - sounds like the edge technologies!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect that the FRM sleeves will be the main thing to cause issues on F20C motors as they get above 150K miles. The same issues with the FRM sleeves in the 1990 Prelude motor (B21A1) and the 1994 Prelude Motor (H22A1)...the FRM sleeves wear piston rings faster than iron sleeved blocks...causing increased oil consumption and gas blow by which kills motors by oil starvation when the owner doesn't pay attention to oil level! This is why so many F22 powered Accords and D15/16 powered civics are still running on the original blocks...cast iron sleeves and no oil burning are essential for a 300K mile motor that is not maintained religiously!