S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Motor Oil in the Clutch Master Cylinder - How Bad is the Damage?

Old 12-14-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Just seeing this post.
I would have suggested absolutely NOT putting oil in the hydraulic system. Bad bad bad.
That drive back to you with no clutch sounds painful too.

A tow was not an option?
Old 12-15-2020, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol I normally don't post but have been on the forums a lot lately with 2 weeks off and doing 60k maintenance on my 2007 s2k figuring stuff out. This reminds me when we were on vacation in Bonaire, me, my wife and 5 year old son. We were in some national park, and our POS rental truck decided to overheat. I kept watching the engine temperature go from right next to the red zone and crossing into the middle of it. I eventually got nervous with precious cargo in the POS truck and pulled over. Looked in the engine bay and no coolant whatsoever. So I decided to dump most of our drinking water, maybe 1 liter worth, into the reservoir to "try" to help the situation. Guess what, the engine temperature still was in the red zone half of the time, the water did not help, and now we are stuck 20 miles away from our hotel with no drinking water in 90 degree temp and pretty darn close to 100% humidity. Looking back on it, don't know what to do differently except for not dumping out our drinking water, they don't have triple A in Bonaire, guess we would have had to call the resort people to come get us while waiting like sitting ducks. We made it back in one piece without the truck catching on fire, we did have to stop a bunch of times to let it cool down on the way back. It probably wasn't a coolant issue maybe a thermostat went out from all the humidity and salt, the truck had less than 30k miles on it!
Old 12-16-2020, 05:56 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Mixing brake DOT 3(4) fluid with DOT 5 synthetic causes the 3(4) fluid in the system to turn to jelly. Clean out is next to impossible. I suspect motor oil would have a similar effect.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to follow up, I bled the system and it worked fine. I went ahead replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders anyway.

Originally Posted by dragonfruit
Lol I normally don't post but have been on the forums a lot lately with 2 weeks off and doing 60k maintenance on my 2007 s2k figuring stuff out. This reminds me when we were on vacation in Bonaire, me, my wife and 5 year old son. We were in some national park, and our POS rental truck decided to overheat. I kept watching the engine temperature go from right next to the red zone and crossing into the middle of it. I eventually got nervous with precious cargo in the POS truck and pulled over. Looked in the engine bay and no coolant whatsoever. So I decided to dump most of our drinking water, maybe 1 liter worth, into the reservoir to "try" to help the situation. Guess what, the engine temperature still was in the red zone half of the time, the water did not help, and now we are stuck 20 miles away from our hotel with no drinking water in 90 degree temp and pretty darn close to 100% humidity. Looking back on it, don't know what to do differently except for not dumping out our drinking water, they don't have triple A in Bonaire, guess we would have had to call the resort people to come get us while waiting like sitting ducks. We made it back in one piece without the truck catching on fire, we did have to stop a bunch of times to let it cool down on the way back. It probably wasn't a coolant issue maybe a thermostat went out from all the humidity and salt, the truck had less than 30k miles on it!
lol that's rough - sounds like the thermostat may have been stuck open or something like that?

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Appears he'd have been better using water?
There are a lot of ways to insult you but it's not worth the time.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by jeallen
Mixing brake DOT 3(4) fluid with DOT 5 synthetic causes the 3(4) fluid in the system to turn to jelly. Clean out is next to impossible. I suspect motor oil would have a similar effect.
DOT 5 is silicone. You won't get the same gel effect when motor oil and DOT 4 (or 3) mix. That's not what will happen here.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you also flush the tranny? Hows it shifting with the new parts? Any issues from the rev match shifting?