Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Talk
Reload this Page >

My impressions of the SC

S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My impressions of the SC

Old 03-18-2001, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally had an opportunity to spend some time behind the wheel of my newly installed SCS2K. Here are some of the things I have noticed so far:

1. It is way faster, redline comes quick and so does 100mph.

2. Lots of noise. hissing and whirring of the blower immeditately stand out when you start the car. Once the car is going I think it sounds very much like it did except I can still hear the hissing. I can't really tell if its louder since I have had my Comptech exhaust for about a year.

3. HESTITATION!!! I think I am having more hesitations then what has been reported by other SC owners. When I floor it does not do anything..I have to really feather the gas to make it go. I have also experienced hesitation after I have shifted from redlining.

4. The car gets to 3 bars (temp) quickly. When I left the hotel today, the garage where they keep the car is 2 doors down. They have to go around the block to bring it to the front of the hotel, within that short distance I noticed when I got in the car, it was already at 3 bars. (no they werent joy riding in the car before they brought it to me, I wrote down odo mileage before leaving it with them). After driving for 2 hours straight mostly in the +5K range the temp gauge was still at 3 bars.

5. The shifter vibrates like crazy. You can feel the power of the SC through shifter...low revs not bad but high revs LOTS OF VIBRATING. Doesn't bother me though...

6. The quality of the components, fit and finish are top notch. The installers commented on how easy everything went on.

7. Harmonic, when I floor it I have this vibration coming from the right side of the engine bay around 3.5K - 5.5K. It will bog down as well when this happens. Not sure what it is. Very noticeable though. However when I half throttle it the harmonic is not there and the SC is very responsive.

8. Not sure about the gas mileage yet. I did fill up after the trip this weekend but forgot to record the info.

9. Even though I am having some problems which I believe Comptech will certainly address this thing is AWESOME. When all is working right it just KICKS BUTT. I have no regrets at all.

Oh yea one last thing...when we were in SF in between all the tall buildings, I opened it up and it sounded so cool..even the wife commented on how good it sounded

[Edited by SilverSurfer on 03-18-2001 at 07:48 PM]
Old 03-18-2001, 07:52 PM

UPDATE!

I just took the car out to take a movie back (4 miles roundtrip) and I hammered it in 2nd and it responded!! NO HESTITATION...NO HARMONIC..so I was a little bit confused so on the way back I did the same thing...hammered in 1st, redline hit 2nd...NO HESITATION NO HARMONIC NO BOGGING DOWN. Now the only thing I did different was I unplugged the MAP Sensor and plug it back in (just the cable that goes into it). Can just unplugging the MAP Sensor and pluging it back in make it better? Or is this something that is temporary and will start hesitating again. Very odd.

Oh yea, I had the top up for the first time...WOW are there noises. I am getting something like the decel noise when accelerating around 4K and up, not bad though and the car is MUCH LOUDER than I originally thought. I just need to turn up the stereo louder and my car purrs like a kitty
Old 03-18-2001, 08:13 PM

Silver,
From my experience the hesitation, which is actually a bad description of the event (it's technically a retardation of the engine, a strong bog down - depending on how much throttle you give it), comes and goes. It dissapeared for a week, then showed back up for the past 4-5 days.

I unplugged my MAP sensor a few times, did the magic tappy-tap...but it didn't seem to affect it. I unplugged and plugged back in the MAP sensor today, with the car on, and it immediately turned my check engine light on (note to self). Obviously nothing is wrong, it will just need a few trips (3, I think) to reset itself (don't want to reset with battery - messes up stereo settings).

The SC is louder, but I notice it more from the exhaust. My cool air intake was loud too, so maybe that's what I'm comparing it too. I'd love to hear it through an aftermarket exhaust!

My gas mileage has been exactly the same (even the complete tank where the car ran without hesitation), except for the last tank which strangely got me 40 miles more before the gas light came on.

Wesmaster
Old 03-18-2001, 08:38 PM
RT

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Keith, the valve will stick more if you've been cruising off boost for a while (i.e. 5 miles on freeway). Once you free it up with a couple blasts of boost it will work "OK" until the next time it takes a "set".
I'm pretty sure that even when you don't think it's fvcking up, it's still not quite right.

You think your car feels fast now, wait till you get the problem resolved, it's even faster.
You'll need to start worrying about traction in 1st gear when the VTEC hits, in the dry.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:47 PM

I'm pretty sure that even when you don't think it's fvcking up, it's still not quite right.
That's exactly how I've felt, good to hear someone else say it. The first 200 miles where just incredible. But now, even when it doesn't "hesitate" it's not feeling like the 8 pounds of boost it did that first weekend. I don't think I just "got used to it" that quickly either...since I've never really gotten used to how quick the stock S2K was - it's been impressing me for a year and a half.

I think a decent way to explain the power surge of the supercharger, with full boost, is explaining the difference in our car with VTEC, and our car without VTEC. It feels like having VTEC on top of VTEC, but at all RPM ranges (more noticebly at the higher RPMs).

I read in a book about supercharging that each time you double your RPMs, with a supercharged car, you quadruple the amount of boost - it definitely has that feeling. They also say the down-side to that is that as you cut your RPMs in half, you only have 1/4 the boost you just had.

Wesmaster
Old 03-18-2001, 09:12 PM
RT

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

From an earlier thread:

Originally posted by RT
Originally posted by shaner
RT,

I will hurry and get my car back together so I can drive it and see if I get the same problem...

BTW, what is your MAP sensor valve quick fix?

Thanks!
shaner, the MAP sensor set-up, that's been reworked by Comptech several times already, has too high (inconsistent) a cracking pressure threshold to completely mask the positive pressures in some instances.
The simple solution used by everybody else (Civics, Integras, ....) is to vent the MAP sensor line with a bunch of fish tank aquarium check valves.
In fact, the Comptech NSX SC uses a similar setup to that (they probably get the same check valves but not from the pet store ).
Comptech was trying to give us a cleaner more reliable solution than the fish tank effect.
The block between the TB and the MAP is just a custom check valve with a big diaphragm.

To get it to work correctly, a slight, totally reversible, modification (no burned bridges here) is necessary.
If you need, I'll make you a "tweeked" diaphragm and send it to you, free. Swap it out for now until Comptech gets us their solution (again, no permanent irreversible changes).

If I get a chance, I'll give Shad a call next week sometime and share, maybe they'll use it as "their" solution and you'll be one step ahead of it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]...............................
BTW, SS, at idle, from the inside the car, do you get a faint buzzing noise (not the SC gear backlash) that goes away off idle?
Old 03-19-2001, 05:44 AM

I can't wait to be able to enter the conversation (I did have mine installed before you )... If I get hesitation, I will try my Mugen ECU to see if that fixes it. Hopefully I will not get hesitation or vibrfation: I did cut a 'divot' out of the cross-frame below the compressor so the oil return fitting does not hit the frame (plus, I am not using Comptech's air box)...
Old 03-19-2001, 06:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]Silver,
Old 03-19-2001, 06:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]
BTW, SS, at idle, from the inside the car, do you get a faint buzzing noise (not the SC gear backlash) that goes away off idle?
Old 03-19-2001, 08:13 AM

FYI, I talked to John at Modacar today, and when he test drove it he did not experience any hesitation or bogging down. I will be bringing my car tomorrow afternoon and he is going to check it out. I will post the findings tomorrow night...stay tuned.