S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY02 with hole in top

Old 07-29-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY02 with hole in top

It's on the passenger side like all the 00's and 01's that have holes.
Nightmare.

It's about 1/4inch slit in the roof. I can see sunlight from the inside through it.
I'm going to bring it to the dealership.

Is there anything I can do in the mean time?

I'll keep u updated.

-Ed
Old 07-29-2003, 06:04 PM

How about a pic? Does this happen to all 2002's as well?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM

i would like to know as well...
Old 07-29-2003, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-30-2003, 03:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a plastic stiffener that wears a hole in the top on each side. Honda knows about it because it is redesigned in later models. But I have seen more than one post saying the wear has not been covered under warranty (even through it is a design flaw).
Old 07-30-2003, 04:07 AM

anyone with a 02 also run into this?
my build date is 8/02

-Ed
Old 07-30-2003, 04:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '02 that is wearing on the inside where the rear-most bar hits the top when closed. My dealership 'solved' the problem by attaching some foam tape to the frame, which blew off 2 days later. They also advised me that 'most people only drive these cars on the weekend, so you're likely to see increased wear.'
Old 07-30-2003, 07:06 AM

My '02 top was replaced under warranty by the dealer. However, my situation isn't exactly the same as yours, NoMoreWRX.

Basically, what happened is my car was hit and sustained body damage. While the body shop was repairing my car, they ripped a hole in the convertible top - it was a roughly 1/2" vertical slit along the seam on the passenger side. This body shop happens to contract through one of the local Honda dealers, so the body shop manager took my car there and told the dealer that the ripped top was a factory design flaw. The dealer agreed and replaced my top.

I'm sure the body shop's relationship with the Honda dealer had something to do with how easy it was to get my top replaced. But, what's worth mentioning is that during this process, I spoke to the Honda dealer, as well as an automobile upholstery shop, and they both mentioned that there were some known issues with the S2000's top and premature wear. So, I don't think it's unheard of.

NoMoreWRX, if you have trouble getting your top replaced by the dealer, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to find my paperwork and see what it says on it. If anything, I can perhaps fax you a copy of the paperwork so you can show it to the dealer.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:09 AM

There was a post a while back that showed some pics of where this area is and where to check it in your car. Anyone remember this post?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with my Silverstone/Black MY00. After going to the Regional Service Manager in my area with my car totally detailed out and in top shape, he authorized the dealership to REPLACE my top AND modify the plastic stays so this will not re-occur.

I made him aware of our website, the widespread design flaw, and that our community shares info well.

It seems to be a subjective decision by the Service Manager and/or Factory Rep. Don't take no for an answer. Go up the ladder until you get the right answer.

By the way, the new top is perfect and the new clear window is a treat!

Quick Reply: MY02 with hole in top