S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Nearly drown the Stook...

Old 02-25-2001, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it should be a problem, I had a Integra with the AEM cold air intake that had to be driven over 18 inches of water on the highway. I did get thru the water, after the car stalled, I started it up again and stalled again, so I called my mechanic friend...He told me to hit the gas when I start it up again...After I started it up with my feet on the gas.. Alot of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust, which I expected. After I burnt all the water out, the car was fine.
Old 02-25-2001, 07:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by StudentDriver
I don't think it should be a problem
So you're volunteering to try it first then huh?
Old 02-26-2001, 03:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is one great reason not to get a CAI like the Mugen one. My service manager told me it would void the warranty if I put one on for this reason.
Old 02-26-2001, 05:39 AM

the mugen cai is not nearly as bad as an AEM or other brand. on my integra the bottom of the filter is about 4 inches off the ground(too low ) the mugen is more like a ram air setup with the intake set just below the bumper opening. needless to say, cold air intakes are not good if you live in a wet weather climate. i have personally seen about 5 or 6 hydroed motors come into my friends shop in the past year. the damage of course resulting from the car having a cai installed, and he owner driving thru any amount of standing water.

brian
Old 02-26-2001, 05:45 AM
Banned

My GSR has a AEM CAI installed and is my daily driver. As mentioned the filter sits in the area directly in front of the passenger-side front wheel. It is approximately 8 inches off the ground. I have not had a issue to date with this because I drive very carefully in the rain and try to avoid standing water.

Be smart - and careful - and these things aren't a problem.
Old 02-26-2001, 06:55 AM

meat,

my gsr is my daily driver as well maybe because i am so careful, like you, i have had no issues to date either. i actually try not to drive in the rain period. but it happens sometimes. i have to agree with meat.

brian
Old 02-26-2001, 07:19 AM
Tox

You are a very lucky guy because although you got some water in the airbox, apparently very little got into the engine.

Do you know what happens when a running engine drinks water? When the first cylinder pulls in a charge of water and tries to compress it but can't (since liquids don't compress), the engine immediately stops. All the rotational energy of the crank and flywheel is absorbed by one cylinder (the one that's full of water). Something's got to give. Depending on what's weakest, the conrod or piston may shatter, the crankshaft can snap, the block or head may crack, or the head bolts may pull right out of the block. But something catastrophic will definitely happen. My understanding is that marine engines that go underwater while running are a total loss.

And that chances that Honda would cover this under warranty are, um, not so good. So, you're very lucky. You nearly blew a large hole in 10 grand. (Or maybe more. Does anybody know what a replacement engine costs?)

This is a very low car, so it's really important to keep out of standing water. On the bright side, though, I wouldn't have guessed an S2K would float!
Old 02-26-2001, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NOT take it to my dealer first! In fact, I would find another shop to look at it and dissect things first, because once you tell Honda you drove it through standing water like that, they will blame EVERYTHING on that from here on out.

It's just my $.02, but I wouldn't tell the dealer a THING...
Old 02-26-2001, 08:21 AM

I would assume that the level of water was also above the lower door rubber seals. Did these seals leak and any water get into the cabin?
Old 02-26-2001, 08:36 AM

S2Kguy,

Don't dispair, its probably not that bad but to relate an experience in NJ with a coworker.
He hit a sudden storm and drove through a puddle in an old Honda wagon. The car stalled and he tried to start it again and heard a large bang. Guess what that was!!
It was towed to a local guy and the garage said he needed a new engine and estimated $2500 on a car that was 10 yrs old.
When he told me this I suggested that he contact his home owners insurance, since they cover some versions of flooding related to personal property.
His home owners covered the bill and then some. He has all the luck.

We renamed his insurance company "Mutual of Wind Rain and Fire" as a trubute.