S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New windscreen design solves problems

Old 10-12-2000, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the latest information on the new windscreen design, please see this thread: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=562

Ever since I saw Mingster's windscreen design, I started thinking about modifications to improve it. I had four goals.

1. Follow the exact curved contour of the headrests.

2. Design the windscreen so that the center console compartment door can be opened with the top up.

3. Use the stock windscreen mechanism, but replace the lexan piece with a full size windscreen.

4. Etch the S2000 logo on the windscreen.

I now have a prototype under construction that will meet all four goals.

It works like this. You take the stock windscreen apart (it comes apart very easily) and replace the Lexan piece (it's mounted in place with three screws) with my full-sized Lexan screen, which is shaped to follow the curved contour of headrests. You then mount the stock mechanism in reverse, so it springs forward, not back. You then glue two very small rubber bumbers near the top of the headrest to keep wind pressure from pushing the screen forward at speed.

Opening the center compartment with the top up is easy. You life the compartment slightly so the side of the screen clears the two rubber bumpers, then hinge the screen forward as you fully open the compartment.

Although this sounds complicated, it's quite simple. Because the screen uses the stock mechanism, it looks completely integrated with the car. And because it follows the contour of the headrest, it's much more attractive. Finally, the S2000 logo, which will be solvent-etched into the Lexan, is a bonus (again, provided Honda gives us permission to use it).

Here are some pictures of the disassembled stock mechanism. I'll post pictures of the full prototype when it is finished in a week or two.

Full mechanism. Note how holes in Lexan piece fits over plastic posts and holes for screws to tighten down the Lexan piece.

Some close ups of the center and right and left sides.

The larger Lexan piece I will make will fit this mounting design perfectly, so it will be an easy replacment for the stock piece.

I don't know yet when it will be for sale or what it will cost, but if you already have the stock windsreen, the cost will be quite reasonable.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Hesel (edited October 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rick Hesel (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-12-2000, 05:32 PM
dbw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YAAAA!!!finally a reasonable solution to the windscreen issue!the use of as much oem hardware as possible is the secret...it sounds great!![and will look like a factory item]...rick my man!
Old 10-12-2000, 05:33 PM

Note 2 is the only reason I haven't ordered it in the first place.

S2000 etched in would be cool. Or maybe a multi-stage etching with a light honda logo and a heavier S2000.
Even better would be a light glaze to give the etching some color. I don't know how well that would work on lexan, but I've done it with glass before.

If I ever get around to working on the net concept, I'll post pictures of that too. The design is similar to the fabric screen on the Z3. I wanted to try something similar with the S2000 logo, except airbrush it on.
Old 10-12-2000, 05:36 PM

Rick,
Maybe a plastic bushing molded to the contour of the screen hinge base on one side and the "secret compartment lid" on the other. That way you would only have to make a small change to the height of the original design.
Old 10-12-2000, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks, dbw. I've been thinking about this one for a long time, and based on other posts I had concluded that modifying the stock windscreen mechanism was impossible. But I went ahead and bought one anyway and was surprised how easy it was to take it apart. It will be an easy mod for each owner to make himself with the Lexan piece and rubber bumpers I supply.

I can't wait to get the prototype and post pictures. BTW, Sam Friedman, who has a silver/red and lives here in Baltimore, has been helping me with this one, making his car available for template-making and test fittings. Yet another team effort of S2K fans! When I first saw Sam's car, I was real happy I finally chose the silver/red.

Rick
Old 10-12-2000, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Brent,

I don't understand the drift of your second post.

Rick
Old 10-12-2000, 05:43 PM

Rick:

Bravo!

Now we are talking.

I hope you offer it with and without the logo.

But overall... wow.

Dan.
Old 10-12-2000, 05:47 PM

Rick,
Will there be one without a logo?
Old 10-12-2000, 05:48 PM

Gotta say ... glad I was not the only one who thought the windscreen should follow the curves of the hoops. Replacing the original piece with a larger one has been my plan for sometime if anything ever happened to the original. Rick your version sounds cool.
Old 10-12-2000, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Of course it will be available without the logo, cause the logo will cost extra and Honda may not give us permission to use it anyway.

Rick

Quick Reply: New windscreen design solves problems