S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New windscreen design solves problems

Old 10-12-2000, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't completely convinced with Mingster's solution (no offense). So I am very happy that someone else has thought about another version - I like the idea of the higher lexon that follows the curve of the rollbars...

I have a question about the backward application with the little bumpers attached to the rollbars...does that mean you wouldn't be able to lower the windscreen at all? I like the idea of using the factory attachement (my windscreen is in a box in my living room). I'd prefer it clear with no etching, if you are taking a head count on that feature...

[This message has been edited by tmkarab (edited October 13, 2000).]
Old 10-13-2000, 03:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colin,

Believe me, I thought about the side channel solution (and many others) but decided against it for several reasons. First you'd have to drill some holes in the plastic roll bar covers to mount the channel. Second, you'd never be able to open the center compartment without removing the windscreen, a real pain. Third, whenever you did remove the windscreen, you have a loose piece of plastic, vulnerable to scrathces, lying around. So the more I thought about it, the more impractical it seemed.

The whole time I was thinking about various approaches, I never considered the simple modification of the stock screen that I finally settled on, largely because some posts on H-A.net suggested it was impossible to take apart. Without the car I couldn't know for sure, and being suspicious of the posts, I finally went ahead and bought one from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com . The posts were wrong, and once I saw how easy it was to replace the small stock Lexan piece, the final solution was obvious.

tmkarab,

Maybe my description wasn't clear. Yes, you can lower the windscreen whenever you want, with the top up or down. With my solution, though, it will fold foward. To fold it down, all you'll have to do is lift the center compartment about 1", which will enable the screen sides to clear the little rubber bumpers, then fold it down.

What I don't know, and won't until the prototype is installed on Sam's car, is whether the screen will get in the way of shoulders, etc when it's folded down. I don't think so, but I can't know for sure until the prototype is completed and installed. In fact, I'm going to the plastic shop later today with a template to have the Lexan piece milled.

As for the other suggestions, they're all ideas I've considered, but impossible for me to do anything about until my car finally comes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Hesel (edited October 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rick Hesel (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 10-13-2000, 03:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel:
[B]Not having the car yet, I'm curious.
Old 10-13-2000, 03:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, Chris, that's still the real question for me: does it make a difference? This issue has already been debated at length, but no objective proof one way or the other has been provided. When I finally get my car, I want to try and conduct some tests that will have some empirical basis and I have to give some thought to how that might be done.

It's quite clear to me that Honda developed the short one only because the center compartment could not be opened when the top was up with something that was any taller. I doubt that any serious engineering or testing went into its design, and it may have been just a cosmetic addition.

Rick
Old 10-13-2000, 04:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Hesel:
.. I doubt that any serious engineering or testing went into its design, and it may have been just a cosmetic addition.

No it is not cosmetic.. it does work. The question for me was the difference between it and a higher screen. A number of people have noted that it depends on how high you sit in the seats.
Old 10-13-2000, 04:03 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Rick,

This would help alot. I have the factory screen and find that there is still alot of backdraft.

Count me in.

You may get the logo approved since the fact. model is now std.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-13-2000, 04:03 AM

FWIW, cosmetic addition or otherwise, the Honda windscreen does work esp. if you are um ... vertically disadvantaged. I notice a definate difference with it up vs. down (I'm 5'7") and My wife even more so (She's 5'4" and has a much shorte torso). That said I am still interested in a "better mousetrap". Keep up the good work Rick
Old 10-13-2000, 05:38 AM
Former Sponsor

I really didn't mean to suggest it was only cosmetic and had no fuctional value. The real question, as cdelena has pointed out, it whether the larger one will really make a difference. From what everybody is saying, it seems that it will help taller people.

Rick
Old 10-13-2000, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Hesel:
From what everybody is saying, it seems that it will help taller people.
... and we need all the help that we can get .

This sounds like a fantastic idea! Since I can't leave anything alone, what about a mid-height design? The reasons that I suggest this are:
1. If I slump down a little in the seat, the Honda aeroscreen keeps a lot more of the wind off of my head. I think that one a little higher will improve protection from backdraft a lot. There may be diminishing returns with a design as high as you propose.
2. A mid-height lexan piece may not require the reversal of the base.
3. A mid-height piece may not require the rubber bumpers to hold it in place.
What to y'all think?
Old 10-13-2000, 06:23 AM

The idea sounds great Rick. You may be able to attach the rubber bumpers via leather role hoop covers. My $.02 on the etching: I like the idea of S2000 etched, but if Honda won't let us use it, an etched S may be nice, similar to the German floor mats.

Quick Reply: New windscreen design solves problems