S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Newly acquired S2000

Old 08-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly acquired S2000

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a Berlina Black 00' S2000. This is the 4th Honda I've owned so far, starting off with a 1990 Honda Civic Sedan , two DC2 Integras (one GS and one GS-R, both year 1999) and finally the S2k. The car has been a blast so far, and learning to drive a RWD has been fun as well. To start off, I've got a few questions about the car (and if these have been answered before, I apologize in advance...)

Is it supposed to be really bumpy? I understand it's a roadster, and sits fairly low to the ground for stock height, but I was wondering if it the suspension was supposed to be this stiff, or whether my struts are just blown from the previous owner.

Car washes? Should I do my own hand washes, or is it safe to go inside the automated machine washers? Is the convertible top durable enough to handle pressurized water?

Since mine is a MY 2000 (first one in production), the rear glass is I think some sort of plexi glass instead of normal glass. The thing is, I notice that sometimes when I put the top down it doesn't quite fold properly, and I have to go outside the car and manually push the plastic window down so it folds right. Anyone else notice this or have a fix for it?

There seems to be a some sort of metal clanging noise coming from the rear of the car. I don't know if it's just the car itself (as it is pretty noisy), or whether something fishy is going on back there. I know that since it's a RWD the tranny sits right below the center of the car, so maybe it has something to do with that, or possibly the rear suspension?

I filled up gas for the first time today, because I think it was at like 3 bars left. I set the nozzle to automatic, but upon filling up for a few seconds (10-15 seconds?) the nozzle starts rattling, and I have to stop filling up, and push the lever in manually again, with the automatic tab under it off. Since the nozzle wasn't on automatic mode, I kinda had to guess how many gallons to put in because I didn't want to top off. Was my nozzle just messed up or am I doing something wrong here? Or something wrong with the car perhaps?

A lot of questions, I know. But any help/insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

yes the suspension is really stiff, it's supposed to be that way.

the owners manual states only to hand wash the car but I'm not that anal since it's my beater. In 4 years I haven't had a problem pressure washing it or driving it through brushless auto washes.

you can find a tube like think on ebay for the plastic window to fold properly or make your own.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sspagenameZWDVW

what noises doesn't this car make

dont top off the gas tank, when the pump stops it is full.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car washes? Should I do my own hand washes, or is it safe to go inside the automated machine washers? Is the convertible top durable enough to handle pressurized water?
Black cars swirl easy -- but power washers are fine too. Level of effort debate.

Is it supposed to be really bumpy? I understand it's a roadster, and sits fairly low to the ground for stock height, but I was wondering if it the suspension was supposed to be this stiff, or whether my struts are just blown from the previous owner.
My black 00 needs new shocks. The shock valving no longer matches the spring rates and it bounces more than stock. Maybe this is the same issue you have? Throw a set of PSS9s on there anyway.

Since mine is a MY 2000 (first one in production), the rear glass is I think some sort of plexi glass instead of normal glass. The thing is, I notice that sometimes when I put the top down it doesn't quite fold properly, and I have to go outside the car and manually push the plastic window down so it folds right. Anyone else notice this or have a fix for it?
Plastic until 02. I have not noticed your issue, but it is a good idea to puta soft clean towel in the well where it folds to reduce scratch hazing. You can hit the window up once a year with the haze reducer (turtle wax will do the trick too).

There seems to be a some sort of metal clanging noise coming from the rear of the car. I don't know if it's just the car itself (as it is pretty noisy), or whether something fishy is going on back there. I know that since it's a RWD the tranny sits right below the center of the car, so maybe it has something to do with that, or possibly the rear suspension?
Get under and have a look at the exhaust hangers; possible one has rusted off and your exhaust is swaying in the breeze. You should also check to ensure that the spare tire is screwed down tightly as it rattles too.

filled up gas for the first time today, because I think it was at like 3 bars left. I set the nozzle to automatic, but upon filling up for a few seconds (10-15 seconds?) the nozzle starts rattling, and I have to stop filling up, and push the lever in manually again, with the automatic tab under it off. Since the nozzle wasn't on automatic mode, I kinda had to guess how many gallons to put in because I didn't want to top off. Was my nozzle just messed up or am I doing something wrong here? Or something wrong with the car perhaps?
Nozzle would be my guess. Also (and this is not particular to the S2k) If you leave the car running while you fill it up (yeah I know the horrors!) the guage will not read correctly until the car is shut off for some period of time.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

You will find some purpose made products here to help you with both the inside and outside of your window.

http://www.prestigeautoaccessories.com/
Old 08-27-2005, 10:55 PM

Just like anything else, it's stuff that you have to get used to... Yes, the S is bumpy becuase it has a sport tuned suspension... MY04 rides even bumpier due to the tires.... Have fun with your car and be safe!!

Welcome
Old 08-27-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1a-race,Aug 27 2005, 05:39 PM
what noises doesn't this car make
hehe.