S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

No catalytic converter

Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No catalytic converter

I just got a S2000 yesterday and I am like almost no knowledge of cars

There is no catalytic converter connected to engine and exhaust.

A mechanic checked it and that's what he told me and I haven't checked it yet.

Do you guys think I also have to buy an oxygen sensor??
Old 04-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Take a picture... behind the passenger side front wheel under the car...

Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

What model year car? Where are you? Really doesn't matter as all cars of this vintage have catalytic converters mandated by Federal law but only a few states/counties bother to check. With no sensors you'll bet a Check Engine light and confuse the heck out of the car's ECU.

Is the CEL on now?

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM

It's a 2009 and Oregon. There is CEL on. I went to Honda service and said it would cost $2k
Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM

2009 is a nice year! I may have bought it with a CEL as well. May have. (CEL is almost exclusively emissions related.)

Pretty sure Oregon requires emissions testing. May be just a plug in via the ODB2 port or a complete inspection. Regardless with the CEL lit you won't pass. I've run a Berk high-flow cat the past 4 summers. Passed OBD2 smog testing in Ohio. Haven't checked it here in Virginia. I put it inside OE heat shields but no one ever looked under the car. VA has a mandatory annual safety check but no smog testing in my county.

Get under the car and see what's there. If just a cat-delete ("test pipe" -- wink, nudge) you should be able to retro fit a cat in the same space. The rear O2 sensor has a connection in the drive train tunnel near the aft end of the cat. You're gonna need a lift or at least high jack stands.

OEM exhaust? Or was that pulled along with the car?

Lots of experts here and many in Oregon. They'll be here quickly. You'll get it fixed.

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I smell some fish. $2000 fix hmm....

There should be no more then one hour labor on this fyi. So the rest is the cost of the cat. I haven't priced a cat for a 06-09, but im pretty sure they aren't $1900. I'm not as experience on the 06-09DBW model requirements, but I know a simple $10 bung extender on the TP to pull the 02 sensor out of the direct exhaust stream will fool the CEL and keep from coming on with all previous models. If you ran the common Hondata engine management you could simply turn this Cel function off for the cat, and may have been what was used on this car prior to your purchase.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-19-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 AM

That's not his car, it's a photo Deckoz posted showing where to look.

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
That's not his car, it's a photo Deckoz posted showing where to look.

-- Chuck
Yeah just realized and edited my post.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Do you guys think I can claim about it to a dealership where I purchased from? I’m a foreigner and don’t really know the laws and stuff. I just made a phone call to them and told that there was no cat and said they will call me back but haven’t been called yet for almost 3hrs so far. Am I able to sue them if they don’t wanna be responsible?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
2009 is a nice year! I may have bought it with a CEL as well. May have. (CEL is almost exclusively emissions related.)

Pretty sure Oregon requires emissions testing. May be just a plug in via the ODB2 port or a complete inspection. Regardless with the CEL lit you won't pass. I've run a Berk high-flow cat the past 4 summers. Passed OBD2 smog testing in Ohio. Haven't checked it here in Virginia. I put it inside OE heat shields but no one ever looked under the car. VA has a mandatory annual safety check but no smog testing in my county.

Get under the car and see what's there. If just a cat-delete ("test pipe" -- wink, nudge) you should be able to retro fit a cat in the same space. The rear O2 sensor has a connection in the drive train tunnel near the aft end of the cat. You're gonna need a lift or at least high jack stands.

OEM exhaust? Or was that pulled along with the car?

Lots of experts here and many in Oregon. They'll be here quickly. You'll get it fixed.

-- Chuck
It’s OEM exhaust

Quick Reply: No catalytic converter