S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by patr_1_8
Hi, I'm looking at a 2006 Silverstone with Red/Black Interior in Canada. Comes with factory hardtop and front lip. Car has 51,000km (31700 miles), clean carfax and in very good condition including all original manuals and service records.. Asking price is $24,000 CAD ($17,900 USD). What do you guys think?
That is a great price. Consider that the hardtop alone is worth between $3000-4000 US on its own. If you didn't want it you could conceivably be into a great for for <14k US after selling it. People would call you crazy but that's what I did and haven't regretted it at all.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
That is a great price. Consider that the hardtop alone is worth between $3000-4000 US on its own. If you didn't want it you could conceivably be into a great for for <14k US after selling it. People would call you crazy but that's what I did and haven't regretted it at all.
This. But great deals don't last long so if the car is legit then you'll probably need to act quickly.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting an S since I bought my first car in 2002. I have never been in a position to buy anything close to a mint vehicle but now have the ability to get into something around 10k. Most of the ones I find in my price range are too far away for me to consider, but I found one within a few miles of my house that, on it's face, seems to be perfect for me to go after. It is a 2003, 165k on the chassis and 65k on the motor. Motor was replaced 2ish years ago, and I don't know any more on that. Minor accidents in 2009/2011.

Now for the issues that I need help understanding/resolving: CarFax has 4 owners, current purchased in 06/2016 and there are 0 records from that point on. Seller states that the vehicle was sidelined and hasn't been driven in over a year ago "because I got a work truck", and is now selling the S because the work truck was totaled. That does not jive for me. Why would you stop driving an S because you got a work truck? I can see driving it less, but not driving it at all for over a year just doesn't make sense. Seller also states that the car will need a new battery. This seems totally appropriate for a vehicle that hasn't moved in over a year, but why wouldn't he spend the $175 on a new battery? My thought is that the S crapped out, multiple (or major) codes on the dash - he bought a new vehicle and hoped to restore the S and get rid of it. New vehicle crapped out, never fixed the S and now is just trying to get anything out of it.

Do you guys consider this a non-op? What you a reasonable offer be for a vehicle in this condition? It could be worth what he is asking (there are no other issues other than needing a new battery), but my thought is that it is worth much less because there are some issues he is trying to hide by not installing a new battery. Of course I will not purchase any non-op vehicle for the same listed price as an operational vehicle (asking price started at $11k but has dropped to $9800 after sitting for going on 3 months), but what can I do (if anything) to get any codes off of the S? Should I (Could I? Would I even want to?) purchase a battery and get it running?

What else would need to be replaced on a vehicle that has been immobile and sitting in a driveway in central Texas for over a year? Tires. Any belts? Bad gas? Bad oil?

Just about everything is telling me to drop this and never look back, but the fact that it is basically right in my backyard really has me floundering.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda9202
I have been wanting an S since I bought my first car in 2002. I have never been in a position to buy anything close to a mint vehicle but now have the ability to get into something around 10k. Most of the ones I find in my price range are too far away for me to consider, but I found one within a few miles of my house that, on it's face, seems to be perfect for me to go after. It is a 2003, 165k on the chassis and 65k on the motor. Motor was replaced 2ish years ago, and I don't know any more on that. Minor accidents in 2009/2011.

Now for the issues that I need help understanding/resolving: CarFax has 4 owners, current purchased in 06/2016 and there are 0 records from that point on. Seller states that the vehicle was sidelined and hasn't been driven in over a year ago "because I got a work truck", and is now selling the S because the work truck was totaled. That does not jive for me. Why would you stop driving an S because you got a work truck? I can see driving it less, but not driving it at all for over a year just doesn't make sense. Seller also states that the car will need a new battery. This seems totally appropriate for a vehicle that hasn't moved in over a year, but why wouldn't he spend the $175 on a new battery? My thought is that the S crapped out, multiple (or major) codes on the dash - he bought a new vehicle and hoped to restore the S and get rid of it. New vehicle crapped out, never fixed the S and now is just trying to get anything out of it.

Do you guys consider this a non-op? What you a reasonable offer be for a vehicle in this condition? It could be worth what he is asking (there are no other issues other than needing a new battery), but my thought is that it is worth much less because there are some issues he is trying to hide by not installing a new battery. Of course I will not purchase any non-op vehicle for the same listed price as an operational vehicle (asking price started at $11k but has dropped to $9800 after sitting for going on 3 months), but what can I do (if anything) to get any codes off of the S? Should I (Could I? Would I even want to?) purchase a battery and get it running?

What else would need to be replaced on a vehicle that has been immobile and sitting in a driveway in central Texas for over a year? Tires. Any belts? Bad gas? Bad oil?

Just about everything is telling me to drop this and never look back, but the fact that it is basically right in my backyard really has me floundering.

Its good to be cautious, however dont be SO cautious you wont even check the car out. A few things. Sure it needs a new battery, but does the current one work at all? What does the engine bay look like. Replacement engine is actually not that big of a deal as long as it was replaced with another OEM engine. Its the rebuilt engines that are a ticking timebomb.

The work truck thing honestly isnt as big of an issue as i think you are making it out to be. Sometimes people buy a race car thinking that they'll drive it, but then end up driving their daily everywhere due it just being more practical. Its very possible the user drove it a few times when he first purchased it but then never really found a chance to take it out again.

Fluids would definetly need to be flushed and replaced. Ask if the tires came with the car when he bought it. If they did i'd change the tires. See if the seller is willing to get the car towed to a local mechanic to get the car looked at. The car might be in amazing condition.
The following users liked this post:
Honda9202 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I would not buy an S at that price without it being started, check engine codes and compression test. Carfax should show the mileage the person purchased it and how much it is currently showing.

If the current owner says its just the battery, cable jump it and give it a spin.

Last edited by vicrc; 05-16-2019 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Honda9202 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Hey guys. I'm in need of some other opinions on this car I'm currently looking at on AutoTrader around the Dallas, TX area

05 RYP S2000 86k Miles

It's got a few modifications like an Amuse front bumper, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, and rep BBS rims just from what the seller has disclosed. Stock parts are not available.
He's asking $18.9k for it and believes it to be competitive due to the condition/year/mileage/color, but I was thinking more along the lines of $16-16.5k. I was wondering what you guys thought, as I'm starting to think maybe I have the wrong perception of how much S2000s are worth.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^^From the pics I bet he gets what he's asking.
Levi
Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by limk2012
Hey guys. I'm in need of some other opinions on this car I'm currently looking at on AutoTrader around the Dallas, TX area

05 RYP S2000 86k Miles

It's got a few modifications like an Amuse front bumper, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, and rep BBS rims just from what the seller has disclosed. Stock parts are not available.
He's asking $18.9k for it and believes it to be competitive due to the condition/year/mileage/color, but I was thinking more along the lines of $16-16.5k. I was wondering what you guys thought, as I'm starting to think maybe I have the wrong perception of how much S2000s are worth.

While i cant say for sure on the price because i'm in CA and we pay a premium over here, the price seems right on the money for the car. Yes while there are some mods, the car is still relatively low mileage and seems to be in great condition. Yellow also being a more rare color and 05 being a desirable year since it is the last year with cable throttle. A car like that in stock form here in CA goes for almost 20k. The mods, while not stock, are very well done and if you dont go for it i feel someone else who will mod the car anyways will easily pick this car up for the price asked.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

That '05 seems a bit on the high side to me. But I'd say that it really comes down to if you actually like the mods that were made since the original parts weren't retained. (Clean Carfax?) Judging by the scuffed steering wheel and the lower bolster on the driver's seat I'm guessing that the owner is a pretty big dude that has a hard time getting in and out of the car.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM

I appreciate all the feedback from you guys.
Also, and this is just for future knowledge, but what would set the listing I linked above apart from something like this:

07 RYP 103k Miles

This California listing has 8/10 VINs and is OEM with no modifications besides different tire sizes. I understand the 8/10 VINs could potentially bring the price down, but I assumed having stock parts would give it a little bump in price with it also being on 07. Is it because the car has over 100,000 miles? The guy was willing to let it go for $16,000 after talking with him, but I ended up not taking it due to the distance. Does crossing that mileage mark really bring the price of the car down that much?

Last edited by limk2012; 05-22-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Missed a few words in a sentence

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3