S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
That price is too high given ... the previous accident associated with the car's history
As far as I can tell from Carfax and my own inspection the car has not been involved in any accidents. It does appear that the windshield may have been replaced, but windshields break for many reasons other than accidents.

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
What are they asking for the yellow 02?
I'm not sure what "yellow 02" you're referring to. The dealer I'm working with has the yellow 08 and a black 03.

Dave

Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
What are they asking for the yellow 02?
Levi
I assume this is about the first car I mentioned? That dealer is asking $23k.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

@Dave J, my reply that you quoted was in response to the car that @intrigue turbo was asking about. The car you are looking at with the replaced windshield is just way overpriced and I can't see it selling for the price being asked. That seller will likely be sitting on the car for a long time if they are not willing to budge more than $500. Now that these cars seem to have stopped depreciating some sellers are getting pretty greedy. Prices overall might eventually end up at the level these particular sellers are envisioning but at this point in time the prices on the cars you guys are considering are unrealistic unless S2000's are next to impossible to come by anywhere near where you live. Even then, if I were in that position I would just expand my search area and travel further for the right car.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Regarding the last couple of potential buyers looking at the 2007 and 2008 cars, aside from some dealers asking high prices (by current standards) keep in mind that generally speaking with all other variables such as the condition of the car, the color, and the mileage being equal you can expect to pay more for the later model cars. Not only were the sales numbers in decline over time making them harder to come by (Honda actually sold more AP1 cars in four years than AP2 cars in six years) but things like rubber hoses, weatherstripping, etc. are newer with less potential degradation from aging in the later cars. (For these things the Shin-Etsu silicone grease sold by Honda is your friend.). In addition, for many the VSA that came with the 2006+ DBW cars is a desirable feature while others like that the DBW cars make ECU tuning much more accessible. (The DBW cars also tend to run leaner so owners would need to stay on top of valve inspections more often than with the earlier cars.) I am only commenting on buying a S2000 that you want to drive. None of this takes into account what cars will eventually become more collectible (I would guess the AP1 cars). If you're buying a low mileage car to sit on with the primary intent of selling it later on then you will likely have a different set of priorities.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Regarding the last couple of potential buyers looking at the 2007 and 2008 cars, aside from some dealers asking high prices (by current standards) keep in mind that generally speaking with all other variables such as the condition of the car, the color, and the mileage being equal you can expect to pay more for the later model cars. Not only were the sales numbers in decline over time making them harder to come by (Honda actually sold more AP1 cars in four years than AP2 cars in six years) but things like rubber hoses, weatherstripping, etc. are newer with less potential degradation from aging in the later cars. (For these things the Shin-Etsu silicone grease sold by Honda is your friend.). In addition, for many the VSA that came with the 2006+ DBW cars is a desirable feature while others like that the DBW cars make ECU tuning much more accessible. (The DBW cars also tend to run leaner so owners would need to stay on top of valve inspections more often than with the earlier cars.) I am only commenting on buying a S2000 that you want to drive. None of this takes into account what cars will eventually become more collectible (I would guess the AP1 cars). If you're buying a low mileage car to sit on with the primary intent of selling it later on then you will likely have a different set of priorities.
Yeah, I definitely would be more comfortable spending the money on a newer AP2 and I do like that the 06+ has the stability assist. I currently have a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 that I bought new and has been modified and tuned for the last 75K miles. You would never know by looking at it that it's been modified and it has been a great car, but I'm not looking to stay in the modified car game forever at least in terms of engine performance. I think I'm ultimately looking for something that will last and while I won't put a ton of miles on it it will also not be purchased with the goal of making a profit by selling. If I buy the 30th Anniversary Miata I have ordered the current plan is to keep it until the end of its life or mine, whichever comes first haha. I know any car will have maintenance issues as they age, which is really the only thing holding me back from buying a nicer S2K at this point. I know the Miata will depreciate faster but the miles will all be mine and I won't have to potentially dump money into it within the first few years of ownership. I'm definitely open to an S though, just needs to be the right one.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I do appreciate all the feedback.

I am planning to drive, rather than sit on, any S2000 I might buy, and, as has been said, the newer ones are, well, newer.

Today I had the yellow S2000 in to a Honda dealer for a fairly detailed inspection. I think they were surprised by the condition of the car - everything looks to be spot on. They did show up an issue with the TPMS system, but I think that will be resolved by the seller.

Yup, it's probably too much money...but, damn, it's a pretty car.

Dave
Old 06-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 RYP. 114k miles. Haven’t seen it in person yet. Has new tires, valve adjustment done according to the seller. Going to inspect it tomorrow. Thoughts on value at this mileage?
Old 06-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Looking for some input, since I’m a first time buyer here. Never bought a used car before let alone out of state so any input / advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking for someone that lives close by to check it out and also get a PPI done as well.

https://www.miamiauto-broker.com/200...0/Details.aspx
Old 06-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zogster
2004 RYP. 114k miles. Haven’t seen it in person yet. Has new tires, valve adjustment done according to the seller. Going to inspect it tomorrow. Thoughts on value at this mileage?
Ended up being in pretty poor condition, hard pass.

Thoughts on '00 GPW with 80k miles? '02 Spa with 48k miles?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Zogster
Ended up being in pretty poor condition, hard pass.

Thoughts on '00 GPW with 80k miles? '02 Spa with 48k miles?
Hard to say without more detail or some pictures. However the 02 with 48k miles sounds like it was a garage queen. I'd give that one a check.

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3