S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Passing

Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing

I don't know if this belongs here, but I just have a question for you guys.

It seems every time I try to pass someone, they floor it, and then get pissed when I pass them by.

This morning, I'm driving my S2000. I pass traffic at red light that has just turned green and the first person in line (a truck) floors it as soon as I get by him. So I hit it and get about 10 car lengths on him, get in the right lane (using my turn signal) and turn into my entrance at my office.

The guy comes up right on my ass and blares the horn.

This type of reaction has happened numerous times. Is it just the car? Am I supposed to sit quietly in the right lane for 3 miles behind slower traffic to make my turn? No. I'm not. People just seem to turn into asses when they're around this car. I own an RSX Type-S as well and it doesn't happen nearly as often.

Do you guys have the same problem?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds like the truck driver was compensating for something.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Sounds like the truck driver was compensating for something.
Ha! Exactly what I was thinking!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let him pass you. You make things worse when you floor it and pass him. Seems like passing somebody is an insult nowadays lol
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehf1969
Why do people get so mad?
The why really doesn't matter. Always consider the source.

Do you guys have the same problem?
Not with every single driver out there. Some are like this. Some are not.

Am I supposed to sit quietly in the right lane for 3 miles behind slower traffic to make my turn?
You have assess each situation separately. Did every car behind him floor it as well? If a driver like that was leaving enough space for me to slot in behind him I would. If I had 10 car lengths ahead of the driver it it seems like I should be able to turn without the driver on my bumper. If he's really in a rush he can take the left lane. It's impossible to have any sort of meaningful analysis of the situation. Let it go and don't feed into the nonsense from idiot drivers. You can't do anything about them. All you have control over is how you respond to them.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

There have been a couple of road rage shootings here in Kansas City recently, so I'd say back away from situations like these before it escalates to something very serious.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM

I understand what you mean , I own a TL ..drive the same as I do in my S and ...YES ppl act diff when they see my S ...its loud and that pisses ppl off IMO . So all I do is what they think I would not I drive better than them to show them how to respect other ppl ...doesn't matter what they drive it does matter who they are ..and I'm not abt to let some ASS in truck change me and my driving style
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

you have written what i have thought for years.

On a regular basis (daily driven civic Si), i use the passing lane...now stay with me here- TO PASS. I use signals, travel 10 kms over the limit (as is acceptable in my town, at least- so i stay with traffic), stay in the left lane travelling, and don't cross lanes on a turn. But heaven forbid if I pass someone- IN THE PASSING LANE- who is going slower than I. Many times, they gun it to keep me from passing. Never an issue to do so- most get skittish with rapid acceleration- or their wife is nattering to them to slow down- so i pass easily. Yes, my civic is, er, louder than the average civic, but i say, loud pipes save lives.

but i digress.

I agree with the original OP. Passing someone is akin to saying, " let's draw at dawn."

Oh, and i drive like a complete asshole in my S2000...kidding, kidding, c'mon.

later
darcy
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, I've noticed this as well, particularly on highways. If I am cruising at 75 in the right lane on a highway and approach someone going 65 in front of me, I signal, merge, and continue at the same speed. All of a sudden, I go to signal to get back in the right lane, and here comes the same jack-hole I just passed flying up behind me at 85 just to get back beside or in front of me. WTF? And if they manage to get by me, they go back to 65!!! AHHHH!!!

If someone passes me on the highway going faster than I care to go, my response is usually to say aloud, "Get 'em buddy!" and I carry on about my business at my chosen speed. Sometimes I may fall in-suit behind them and speed up to cruise with them, but still behind them (safer to travel in packs, lol). But never do I think, "That SOB just passed me! I'll show him!!!"

I do, however, enjoy seeing people angrily attempt to merge and get ahead of traffic on the highway when it is bumper-to-bumper, just to get shot down in the other lane by even slower traffic. Its like, chill out dude! All of us are jammed in here going the same speed with nowhere else to go. Mashing the gas and cutting someone off to merge only to slam on brakes and nearly rear-end the guy in the other lane isn't going to get you home any faster! I guess I'm just a pretty chill driver though (when I want to be).
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM

I have noticed this behavior more commonly among pick up truck drivers.

Quick Reply: Passing