S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Passport SRX Laser Shifting

Old 11-04-2001, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard about the Passport SRX remote radar detector from another thread and found more info from their manual online about laser shifting. It sounds very interesting and I was wondering if anyone has heard about this or used it yet? Here's a quote from the manual which is available at www.passportsrx.com.

"Your Passport SRX is equipped with a total of three (2 front, 1 rear) Laser Shifters*. These Laser Shifters can be programmed to receive only, or
Old 11-04-2001, 11:04 PM

I remember reading the following from www.speedzones.com/whatsnew.html

"New High End Remote Radar Detector Coming With Offensive Laser-A major radar detector maker will be introducing a new remote detector featuring standard or custom dash board mounting. The new remote will also offer front and rear laser transceivers capable of scrambling laser gun speed readings. SML will be field testing the new remote in October."

I'm guessing this is the new Passport SRX...looks like they are running a little bit behind on their test.

David
Old 11-05-2001, 09:29 AM

Crap:

$1499.95 suggested retail price installed
(or $1599.95 with hidden display and voice)

Professional Installation Required

The Passport SRX is sold exclusively through high-performance car dealers. Call 800-964-3143 or use the Passport SRX dealer locator below to find a dealer near you.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by deadpedal
Crap:

$1499.95 suggested retail price installed
(or $1599.95 with hidden display and voice)

Professional Installation Required

The Passport SRX is sold exclusively through high-performance car dealers. Call 800-964-3143 or use the Passport SRX dealer locator below to find a dealer near you.
Yeeowwch! I just felt another twinge up the hoop.
I think I'll just hang on to my sphincter and mind my own speed.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:48 AM

I sent an e-mail to speedzones about how the SR-1 compares to the SRX and here is their reply.

"We completed the testing of the SRX last week and found it to be vastly superior to the SR-1 in all respects, especially Ka and reception of instant on radar. The laser shifters worked against all five laser guns used in law enforcement. We will be posting the results within approximately ten days...Carl Fors, SML"

Sounds like there may be a decent new detector out there that will do everything I want. As far as the price, I remember the SR-1 was supposed to sell for $1000 but people said they were able to get it for $500. Hopefully this will be true of the SRX. $1500 or so dollars is a little expensive considering I could buy 5 normal radar detectors and strap them to the hood, roof, trunk, tire, and one to the side of my head just to make sure.

David
Old 11-05-2001, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My local Passport dealer has one on the way and I'm considering puting it on the s2k. I've been concerned about the chance of having my R/D stolen why my top is down and the car parked. The local Passport dealer quoted $1500 for the unit and installation.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:01 PM

I'm having the new Passport SRX installed tomorrow. I'm going out of town this weekend in the car and when I get back I'll post my impressions on this new system.
The dealer here will sell the unit w/o intallation for $975.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:22 AM

I'm looking forward to your review. From what I've heard, it sounds like a great system. I e-mailed both speedzones.com and radartest.com and they both said that the laser shifting worked great and the unit was very sensitive. It would be great to never have to worry about cops with laser anymore.

In the user manual it states that "laser shifting" may not be legal in all areas...any idea what states this would be illegal in other than obviously VA and DC?

Sounds like there may be some stiff competition for the V-1.

Thanks,
David
Old 11-07-2001, 10:05 AM

Other than those 2 places I cant think of any others. This unit is also protected from the "radar-radar"
Old 11-07-2001, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RealDeal
[B]...the display will show F LASER

Quick Reply: Passport SRX Laser Shifting