S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Passport SRX Laser Shifting

Old 11-08-2001, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rick,
I was downtown Sunday. That passenger was either my wife or my girlfriend. I don't remember which one. There are only about 4-5 S2000 in Charleston and I am the only Yellow. I wish I knew you were coming. I could have showed you around.
Chris
Old 11-09-2001, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAD S2K,

Can you give me contact info for your dealer? I'd like to call and order one. You can post it here or PM me.

Thanks,
David
Old 11-09-2001, 10:00 AM

Damn, and I just bought an SR-1 about 4 months ago and got a laser ticket shortly therefater. Anyway, installation was very simple and you can do w/o the pro installation. I pd $550. Just do a search for "radar detectors". There are several companies that sell various brands at discount. Some will show the SR-1 in their ads but won't give a price. If you call trhey will quote a price but say they can't legally publish it. No reaon they won't be able to sell the SRX as well.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have returned from my trip with the new Passport SRX and have learned several things. First and foremost "this detector is awesome". The second thing I learned that just because someone is an authorized Passport SRX dealer doesn't mean they know squat about installing and setting one up. I had to reinstall all three sensors on the front. I have the Coastal Metals Grill in black on the front of my car and when I went to pick it up the Dumbas* "tech" that put it in installed them behind the grill. I at first thought that may be ok for the radar detector but knew it wouldn't work for the laser. The instruction plainly state that the laser transceivers need a clear line of sight. I got my trusty nippers out and cut the grill in the locations where the laser transceivers were and mounted them more forward to allow them to barely stick-out of the grill. I did this before I went on my trip and everything seemed well. For a comparison kept my trusty 8500 mounted and on near the rearview mirror. The whole way there I kept getting these 2-3 bar Ka alarms on the SRX but not on the 8500. Everytime I got these "false" alarms I never saw a cop. I did however got real alarms(Ka) about 2 sec. sooner than with the 8500. K band sensitivity seemed to be the same between the two. X band seemed a little better. About 1-2 sec better. I picked up X band twice in the same po' dunk town in Georgia. I didn't think anyone used them anymore. Glad I didn't turn X-band off when I was programming. X-band false alarms are about cut in half when compared to the 8500. These times are at about 85mph with cops heading the other direction toward me. I got a laser alarm once and the SRX did it's shift thing. I was about a 1/8 of a mile from his stationary location. I slowed down to about 2-3 above the speed limit and hit my mute 2 times and turned the shifter off. I watched his face as I drove by and he didn't even give a look my way. That's pretty good for driving a Spa yellow S2k. Maybe he was asleep.
When I got to where we were going I decided to try and fix the Ka false alarm problem. The only thing I could think of was that the grill in front of the radar sensor was causing problems. I took out my nippers and began cutting the grill again. After making the hole for the sensor I mounted it slightly more forward so that it stuck out past the grill about a 1/4 inch. I know that it isn't centered in the grill, but there is a center brace so I just mounted it next to it and I don't believe it's too noticeable.
On the trip home I got only 2 Ka (w/ no cop in site) that may or may not have been false. I believe this fixed my problem and also I picked up about another sec. of warning time on Ka and X and about 2 sec. on K.
Here are some pictures to see the mounted locations.

Old 11-18-2001, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the photos and the details. That sounds like exactly what I want. I'm also impressed that you did a comparison between the 8500.

Have you hooked up the hidden voice module yet? What is it like? Is it worth it?

I've called a bunch of Passport SR-1 Dealers and none of them can get the SRX. Passport said they will only let new car dealers sell the SRX. Most of their existing dealers will not be able to carry it. This does not make sense to me but this is what Passport and many dealers have told me.

I can't find a dealer here in Colorado that can get one so I'd like to call your dealer and have him send me one. Can you give me his number?

How long do you think it'd take a marginally coordinated person to install it?

Thanks,
David