S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Preventing holes in soft top - my solution

Old 09-28-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 2008 two years ago and immediately insert the rubber molding on each side. I am seeing a lot of scratches and scuff marks on them. Imagine if those cuts were directly on the top. I was assuming the rough points on the convertible top frame had already been addressed from Honda in 2008 model but apparently that wasn't the case. The rubber moldings are holding up very well and everyone should do the same thing to protect their tops. Sorry don't know how to post pics here, but if you ping me, I can email you the pics of the rubber.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do the Lizard Skins continue to be a valid option? I am willing to try anything to prevent a costly replacement; my biggest worry remains the glue seepage from for the bottom of the soft to the external side of the soft top making is quite ugly and irrevestible.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:16 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Well known problem with dozens of solutions over the years. Eliminating any burrs in the roof frame and gluing a wear pad to the inside of the roof works well. Plus never putting the roof down or up. Wear lines will show in the roof fabric making the reinforcement location easy to spot. When I Googled lizard skin I got tape for baseball bat and tennis racquet grips. I used black Gortex parka patches on my original roof and they held up well.

My Robbins roof came with reinforcements installed onto the roof fabric where the frame can rub and my installer made sure there were no burrs in the frame.

I believe tight elastic in the roof also helps.

-- Chuck
Old 03-07-2023, 07:23 AM

Received 1,441 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Well known problem with dozens of solutions over the years. Eliminating any burrs in the roof frame and gluing a wear pad to the inside of the roof works well. Plus never putting the roof down or up. Wear lines will show in the roof fabric making the reinforcement location easy to spot. When I Googled lizard skin I got tape for baseball bat and tennis racquet grips. I used black Gortex parka patches on my original roof and they held up well.

My Robbins roof came with reinforcements installed onto the roof fabric where the frame can rub and my installer made sure there were no burrs in the frame.

I believe tight elastic in the roof also helps.

-- Chuck
I apply this every summer, just before it gets really hot. Seems to keep the top pliable.

303 Fabric Guard. 303 Fabric Guard.