S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question on radar/radar detector...

Old 03-10-2002, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on radar/radar detector...

Ok, here's the deal. I have a Valentine that is pretty new (bought in may) in my explorer. Overall I have been thrilled with its performance, but there is one situation that it doesn't seem to protect. I have seen a number of occurrences where a cop will flip on the Ka band with absolutely no warning time. I have seen this on numerous occassions, one of which cost me a ticket (for only about 10 over) and another which cost a friend of mine a ticket with hers (about 20 over). Both times there was no warning and by the time the detector had registered the radar, we were nailed.

Is there any way to help this?? I don't really want a "ticket detector", I want a radar detector. I understand pretty well how radar and radar detectors work, and I have been using a radar detector since I was 16. I don't generally speed too much, especially because I drive an explorer, but I am just finishing the process for getting rid of one ticket for 10 over and I don't want another.

I just didn't realize that the Ka band could register so quickly. Am I mistaken? Does anyone know how long it takes for a Ka blast to register as a speed on the radar gun?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:54 AM

I've been hit by instant on Ka - though not as fast as laser, these are just as effective. Unlike conventional radar gun instant on Ka only goes on long enough to hit your car and bounce back to the gun. It works on the same principle as laser except it takes a lot longer. And you have better chance of detecting scatter Ka band than laser.

Sorry to say but there isn't much you can do to avoid these. Even the best radar detector out there cannot prevent you from getting ticket. Your best weapon is still yourself. I've said it before regarding knowing where and when smokey will be around. That is your best weapon against them. It's also another reason not to speed on unknown road - the unknown factor is not worth the speeding. You must walk the track before you race
Old 03-10-2002, 09:59 AM

I have a V1 also, and I always avoid speeding if there are no cars in front of me, reason being that if there are some cars in front, then if there's a cop using Instant-On, chances are, if he uses it on a car in front, the V1 will pick up the signal, which shoudl be sufficient warning to slow down.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:06 AM

Thanks. I don't usually speed by much more than 5 over in general anyway; not usually enough to warrant a ticket. Unfortunately, on longer road trips, I am sometimes tempted to go a little faster. I have driven about 2600 miles in the last week for a spring break trip. I'll keep your tips in mind! Thanks for the help!