S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RANT: another one slipping away

Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RANT: another one slipping away

May I first express sincere apologies if this rant involves anyone on this board. Everyone has been so nice and helpful in the time I've been lurking here.

It was my great hope that in the next week or two to stop lurking and introduce myself as the owner of an S2000. After two weeks working between the dealer and my credit union and finally having all the stars align, (including my wife's okay) that hope appears to be slipping away.

Unknown to me, the dealer also posted the 2006 Suzuka Blue two owner car on e-bay. Apparently dealers have to honor any bid made, so all my efforts got placed on hold to see if this guy would actually make his deposit. Apparently that did happen by the deadline yesterday and he now has until Saturday to take possession of the car. Like that won't happen.

In the seven years since I first got the hots for one of these cars and search on and off for the right one for the right price, I have had five cars slip away from me for one reason or another. This time it looked really promising. I'm sure I am not the first one to have this happen to, but at this stage in my life I really can't wait another seven years to find the right car.

Yeah, they come up for sale all the time. I know the story. I don't have the time or financial resources to do a nationwide search, and the supply here in the rust belt is pretty limited anyway for ANY model much less a later year APS with the conditions I am looking for. There does happen to be a 2006 NFR not far away, but the dealer wants $2K more for the car than the one I had in mind, it has had four owners from Indiana to Cali and back to St. Louis, and his has been modded with lowering springs, painted factory wheels, tan leather seats and door inserts, and a DIY front lip. No thank you.

From now on, I will view cars posted in online auctions with the same disdain as ones tricked out by kid racers.

It's been fun, and I've learned a lot lurking from a distance. Hope to be more involved in less than another seven years, but I am not very optimistic. Thanks for letting me vent.

Rex
Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry to hear. Maybe the eBay buyer will flake. The right one will come to you. I won't say "be patient" because it's clear you have been already.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Bummer Rex but an S2000 is not *that* difficult to find.

Here's a search, check it frequently and you'll find something.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ear=1981&Log=0
Old 01-29-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finding an S2000 is not hard to find......BUT good ones are hard to find.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might have to travel a couple hundred miles but they are out there...if you really want one.
Maybe step up your search. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't give up hope, the right one will come along.

I can't believe the dealer couldn't end the eBay auction early and cancelled all bids before the auction ended. I am going to assume you never left a deposit either for them to hold the car for you.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it wasn't meant to be - Suzuka is the ugliest color for Stewie anyway!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

you didn't put a deposit on it?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clearly I must be an idiot. I didn't know that after spending more than an hour with the salesman, checking the car over top to bottom, pointing out the small tear in the top, then discussing finances required further proof I was serious. I told the salesman I would be meeting with my credit union and pending repair of the top, I would discuss making a cash offer. I would think all that meant I was serious even when they wouldn't let me test drive the car until temps are above 40 due to summer / sticky tires and them having experience with a damaged car on performance tires. Someone might have told me the car was also on e-bay and subject to online bidding, but they didn't. I've called the salesman at least twice a week since then for updates on the top and my credit union. It's not like I just failed to make sure they knew I was interested.

I never expected anyone to buy a car sight unseen and without a test drive. Again, stupid me, I guess. A mistake I won't make again.

Yeah, the cars are out there but in this condition, few miles, just two owners, they don't come along often especially in this neck of the woods.

They color, not my first choice maybe but since my current car is a mix blue black interior it would have been fine.

As for my search. I have Autotrader set for 200 mile radius and for the model year period I prefer. A total of 12 come up. Sometimes I have opened that to 300miles, but now we are talking flying distance. I scan the Carfax info with a fine tooth comb and move on if that seems sketchy or the price is just too high. I can't afford $23,000 for a nine year old car just because it only has 30,000 miles on it. I know people who have flown across country on the promise of finding a car, trusting someone local is giving them good info. As I said, I don't have that kind of money or time to take off work on wild car chases. It's going to have to be within reasonable driving distance for me.

I do appreciate the encouraging words. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A Honda dealer can't really repair a top. For them it's a replacement with OEM parts, which is normally billed at almost $2000. If you really wanted the car a deposit would have been the best way to secure it.

Quick Reply: RANT: another one slipping away