S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RANT: another one slipping away

Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your requirements and budget?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, I have had to drive a pretty good distance to find any of the cars that I actually like.

From Gainesville, FL:

Impreza was in Raleigh, NC.
S2000 was in Atlanta, GA.
G35 was in Jacksonville, FL (had to pay well for this one, too)
F250 was in Dothan, AL.

The only thing I bought local was my 240sx, but that was in 2003 and I really didn't even know what I was buying.

My experience is that good cars typically require travel and paying well. I know that I wouldn't let my cars go for lowball offers considering how much work and money I put into each and every one of them to keep them in excellent driving condition IE I would take any one of them anywhere in the country right now and not worry.

If you are okay with things that require work and additional investment to get where you want them, then you'll probably find a local car for a good price at some point. Otherwise, get ready to drive and pay because it is probably owned by someone like you that has taken care of it and isn't selling it to put food on the table tonight.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are not too far away / actually my neighbor is from Indiana ...... but you can buy my 2004 S2000.....(no repairs to the top needed) and Washington Dulles airport is just a few minutes up the road .........Click on the link below:

https://www.s2ki.com/...1#entry23453172

My S2000
Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be patient! Took me 6 months to find mine.

You 'll eventually get there buddy!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My preference is for a later model AP2, say 2005 - 2007 as what I have seen seems to be the right miles (under 60K) and something under $20,000. If that is low-balling then maybe I am looking at the wrong car, or model year. I'm simply trying to find the newest model with the least miles in a price range I can afford.

I'd like to find something that hasn't been abused or modded to the point of diminished reliability. There is an '06 NFR on the southside of Indy with just over 40K miles. Price is like $10 under $20,000. If I pay cash, they'll knock a whopping $50 off. Car has been lowered, factory wheels painted gun metal grey, tan seats (?) and door inserts, and a DIY chin spoiler.

I have been looking in a 300 mile radius, and there are a couple of '06 models in PA, but one of them has had 5 owners since '06! As I think I previously mentioned, a wider search may certainly turn up more options, but also would likely require me taking time off work. Not to mention trying to drive an S back to Indiana this time of year. There are a couple of '06 models in PA, miles and pricing about right, but one has had five owners!!

Yes, I think searching on and off for seven years has been patient but I can wait a bit longer I guess. Hell, I'm only 61. Although I would like to get one while I am still flexible enough to get in and more importantly out of one.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

a little further of a travel.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...50k-miles-185/

dont give up! i promise you it will be worth it. keep looking there are deals out there. i prefer to buy from someone on the board if possible, easier to find history on the car here.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
a little further of a travel.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...50k-miles-185/

dont give up! i promise you it will be worth it. keep looking there are deals out there. i prefer to buy from someone on the board if possible, easier to find history on the car here.
Good suggestion. I think the dealer route has not turned any favors my way. Everyone has been so helpful here, so maybe that's where I should've started while also keeping an eye on other options.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohnothimagen
I know people who have flown across country on the promise of finding a car, trusting someone local is giving them good info.
There are inspection services. I used one to purchase my S2000 back in 2007 because it was 1,000 miles away. Used another for another car I was considering recently but found a better local deal.

Sometimes you have to be willing to compromise on one or more points whether it's your search area, price, condition, etc but it's ultimately your call to make.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shortly back I bought a new for me 2004 Honda Element.. low miles... I had found it over a weekend online.. they weren't open til the monday morning.. so I read about it, it's carfax, any information I could... Monday, I called, arranged the dealership to bring it to my house so I could look at it...the first thing I did, when he pulled in the driveway.. was write the salesman a check to hold the car in My Name, I had already decided... now.. even that, does not mean I have the car.. it merely meant.. he shouldn't take anyone else's deposit... and in my case they did not... however.. while i sat waiting on some things, I listen to a couple offer them more.. and they told him.. if my deal fell through.. they had second call... so.. their ( the dealerships ) wheels were not stopped churning.. not until the bank said.. it's mine..

I'm 60 this season.. don't give up if you want an S2000.. just, best of luck..

my S is my fun car.. my Elephant.. is my fun thing...

Old 01-30-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's shady of the dealer. I'd take it as a sign that you don't want to do business with them anyway.

Spend some time posting bad reviews (Google, DealerRater, Cars.com, Yelp, etc.). You'll feel better!

I purchased my s on eBay (sight unseen), but didn't have to put anything down, so I could have walked away if I wasn't pleased (it was actually better than expected).

Cast a broad net. Don't hesitate to ask around in the regional sub-forums for someone to check out a potential car for you. In fact, who better to inspect one than an experienced owner. I'd jump at the chance to do that for a potential owner!

Once you get the right car, it will all be worth it. This frustration will quickly melt away.

Quick Reply: RANT: another one slipping away