S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top

Old 10-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I just ordered mine from TopsOnline.com. I'm in the US but I don't think it's an issue to get it to Canada.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by datadr
I just ordered mine from TopsOnline.com. I'm in the US but I don't think it's an issue to get it to Canada.
thank you. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uggggghhhh

Anybody else experienced MAJOR issues with the top not closing after install? I'm less than an inch away from it closing and can't make it happen, even with some assistance.

I tried to loosen the bolts a bit on the rain rail, but still no dice.

This installation has me pretty much wanting to set fire to my S2K, LOL!!!!

I'm going to try some ratchet straps next, but who knows if that will help.

It's worth noting that it's only in the 30's outside, so sitting and stretching in the heat is not an option. I just want to be able to close the stupid top all of the way - then, perhaps it will properly stretch.

Any thoughts?

Cheers from Cleveland-
Old 12-27-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by J-44
Anybody else experienced MAJOR issues with the top not closing after install? I'm less than an inch away from it closing and can't make it happen, even with some assistance.

It's worth noting that it's only in the 30's outside, so sitting and stretching in the heat is not an option. I just want to be able to close the stupid top all of the way - then, perhaps it will properly stretch.

Any thoughts?

Cheers from Cleveland-
​​​​​remove the passenger seat if not done already, pull into garage, put a space heater on passenger floor tray, close doors. In a couple hours pull it so you can get the hooks onto the latches, then leave it for a bit letting it stretch. come back in a while after that and close the latches and remove the space heater
Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by J-44

Any thoughts?

Cheers from Cleveland-
It's definitely tough to close when first installed. I had to do it from outside and had to put a lot of weight on it to get it to latch. Have someone help, latch it and leave it that way for a few weeks - it will stretch a bit and be easier over time. Maybe a bit longer if you are in a colder climate right now - mine was done end of summer/early fall and just started to be easy to close when I winterized it last month. Sounds like a drum when you tap it...
Old 12-28-2018, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thx---

Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to take another crack at it this weekend.

Stay tuned!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

It definitely took me a TON of effort to get mine closed once I got it installed. After a few days of it being closed it actually stretched enough to get the latches close by itself. Still had to assist it for a few months to get it fully latched though. I think the suggestions of using a heater are great... I did mine in late spring but I'm sure it would've been very tough for me if I did mine in winter as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Not sure if this is the time or place - but my $0.02 is if you can afford it go with an OEM replacement. Fitment is obviously perfect and no other brand will match that. They aren't THAT expensive either and will save you a lot of frustration. I had LHT replace mine when it was in having a SC kit installed and I couldn't be happier. They also only use OEM and won't install an aftermarket brand based on fitment issues.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Not sure if this is the time or place - but my $0.02 is if you can afford it go with an OEM replacement. Fitment is obviously perfect and no other brand will match that. They aren't THAT expensive either and will save you a lot of frustration. I had LHT replace mine when it was in having a SC kit installed and I couldn't be happier. They also only use OEM and won't install an aftermarket brand based on fitment issues.
OEM vinyl soft top is $1400....that’s pretty ridiculous, it continuously goes up in price year after year. I’m all for OEM fit and finish, but Robbins tops fit well. Hell, even a GAHH or Electron top (handmade in the US) comes in at less or around the same price as OEM, and that’s for Stayfast cloth, which I consider a much nicer material both aesthetically and in terms of quality. The higher-end cars have cloth tops.

There’s a few members in this community that install Robbins tops exclusively for other members in their region, and they haven’t had issues with fitment. I like LHT, and their opinion does matter, but refusing to install a certain brand of top other than OEM doesn’t make it bad, and personally I think it’s bad business practice to not give your customers options. If I wanted another vinyl top I’d probably get OEM. But what about people who want cloth?

Also, regarding LHT, they also push the KW kit, which they’ve made quite a few revisions to themselves in terms of finish and for reliability. If a Robbins top needed any small tweaks in terms of install technique or installation hardware I’m surprised they wouldn’t do it.

Last edited by Kyle; 12-29-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

[QUOTE=Glepage22;24517363]

thank you. I appreciate the help.
Send a pm to jsenclosure. He can install a top for you at a very competitive price.

Quick Reply: Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top