S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 + Anchorage Winter

Old 11-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pankayk
Originally Posted by BobbyC' timestamp='1320619840' post='21133538
Man... That much snow would shut down north Carolina for about a week. Lol.
Really? That's pretty much almost normal here. For it to be a snow day when I was in school, it had to be like -20 degrees and have like a good 1ft and half at least. But most of the time the roads are plowed, so I don't have to worry too much about doing "community service" by plowing the streets with her. LOL, used to do that with my Fiero.

A few years ago we had about a inch and Half of ice on the ground. Shut us completely down for a few days.
People down here just freak out when stuff falls from the sky.

Last year we had a couple inches a few times. Luckily I'm within walking distance to a grocery store, gas station and work from home so I have no reason for infrastructure.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Blizzaks are boss in the snow. Ran WS60s on my car for a season and it ran like a champ. Hill starts, packed snow, ice--no problem. And NY winters are no freaking joke.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ian05s2k
I used to live in Anchorage. I had my s2000, but I found it was too much of a hassle to drive around in the winter. I have seen it done a few times up there, but i never wanted to deal with it. In my experience, icy hills suck. S2000 in the warm weather and sun, and a beater with a heater in the winter. Good luck with the winter man.
LOL ture. I sometimes get scared/worried when I'm on hills. I remember when I was still in High School, going to Service High. I drove my Fiero in the winter, and I was driving up that long stretch of road that also happens to be in a upward incline.... I had to stop several times due to the traffic of everyone tying to get to school, but in once instance when I started again I started to slide backwards instead. Lets just say I was embarrassed and scared at the same time. But I did make it to school on time if anyone was wondering..... lol
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Originally Posted by Pankayk' timestamp='1320620381' post='21133556
[quote name='BobbyC' timestamp='1320619840' post='21133538']
Man... That much snow would shut down north Carolina for about a week. Lol.
Really? That's pretty much almost normal here. For it to be a snow day when I was in school, it had to be like -20 degrees and have like a good 1ft and half at least. But most of the time the roads are plowed, so I don't have to worry too much about doing "community service" by plowing the streets with her. LOL, used to do that with my Fiero.

A few years ago we had about a inch and Half of ice on the ground. Shut us completely down for a few days.
People down here just freak out when stuff falls from the sky.

Last year we had a couple inches a few times. Luckily I'm within walking distance to a grocery store, gas station and work from home so I have no reason for infrastructure.

[/quote]

LOL I don't mind the store, gas station, and work being a distance away.... I get to drive the S, so it's fine with me.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mark355
Blizzaks are boss in the snow. Ran WS60s on my car for a season and it ran like a champ. Hill starts, packed snow, ice--no problem. And NY winters are no freaking joke.
So far I'm liking them. I've always ran studs on previous winters on my other cars. So it's my first year on tires like these. I was a bit worried at first. But I like them a-lot and I'm not as worried as much anymore. But I wouldn't mind trying studs on the S so compare the difference. I would think that it would just have more ice traction than the Blizzaks but thats it.

Never been to NY but I do hear it can get pretty crazy.

Ahh I love the snow so much. Just wish my soft-top didn't have a plastic window or else I would drive with the top down. LMAO
Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Yea, we will have to get together this spring to compare cars. My S2000 was my first sports car and I do not think I will ever part with it. It will be 10 years old when I take it out of storage next spring, and honestly it is in far better condition than the day I drove it off the lot, only 8800 miles now. I drove it in stock form for the first two summers then got the mod bug and added a supercharger and cat back exhaust. That was quickly followed by adjustable shocks, lowering the car, and a Brembo big brake kit with drilled rotors. To the casual observer the car looks pretty stock, but it packs quite a punch.

I do not drive my sprots cars in the winter but drive a 16 year old Volvo 850 sedan. No trouble getting around in it today with about 8 inches of new snow in our driveway this morning. It only has 90K miles and outside of some dings and scratches is pretty reliable. Summer is a whole different thing though and I now have to divide my fun car driving by 3. Yes, I have had 3 "mid life crises", but luckily am on my first wife. The S2k was the first, followed 5 years later by something that will slam me into the seat, a 2007 Corvette ZO6. These two cars kept me occupied until last winter when I found a "new" very rare 2009 Lotus Exige S260, one of only 22 in North America, and one of only 4 in orange. I think I have the most useless collection of cars for an Alaskan climate, but I love them all. To me they are each a work of art in their own way. There definitely is something special about the S2k though and I hope to have it in my stable for a very very long time.

Glad to hear you do have a reasonable winter car in the Mazda. When I bought my S2k the sales manager mentioned there was someone in Anchorage back then who was driving their S2k all year round, but I have never seen one driving around in the Anchorage winter until I saw your video.

Steve
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I still wish we were living up there. Eventually we plan to make it back for good (just probably not Fairbanks but rather Anchorage or Wasilla)
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 AM

nice. drive my S all year long here in Jersey. Already had 8 inches of snow here too. I used to rock an 85 Fiero Se.....probably my favorite car up til my S. maybe even over my prelude SH....maybe
Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by alaskans2k
Yea, we will have to get together this spring to compare cars. My S2000 was my first sports car and I do not think I will ever part with it. It will be 10 years old when I take it out of storage next spring, and honestly it is in far better condition than the day I drove it off the lot, only 8800 miles now. I drove it in stock form for the first two summers then got the mod bug and added a supercharger and cat back exhaust. That was quickly followed by adjustable shocks, lowering the car, and a Brembo big brake kit with drilled rotors. To the casual observer the car looks pretty stock, but it packs quite a punch.

I do not drive my sprots cars in the winter but drive a 16 year old Volvo 850 sedan. No trouble getting around in it today with about 8 inches of new snow in our driveway this morning. It only has 90K miles and outside of some dings and scratches is pretty reliable. Summer is a whole different thing though and I now have to divide my fun car driving by 3. Yes, I have had 3 "mid life crises", but luckily am on my first wife. The S2k was the first, followed 5 years later by something that will slam me into the seat, a 2007 Corvette ZO6. These two cars kept me occupied until last winter when I found a "new" very rare 2009 Lotus Exige S260, one of only 22 in North America, and one of only 4 in orange. I think I have the most useless collection of cars for an Alaskan climate, but I love them all. To me they are each a work of art in their own way. There definitely is something special about the S2k though and I hope to have it in my stable for a very very long time.

Glad to hear you do have a reasonable winter car in the Mazda. When I bought my S2k the sales manager mentioned there was someone in Anchorage back then who was driving their S2k all year round, but I have never seen one driving around in the Anchorage winter until I saw your video.

Steve

That sounds like a great garage!
Cept I would do a nsx over the vette but that's a personal pref.

I dream of a Day when I can have a few fun cars in my stable.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by alaskans2k

Steve

HOLY..... I definitely need to check your stable out. My co-worker mentioned to me that there is a yellow s2k that lives in his neighborhood that drives all year around apparently. I also forgot to mention that at my work there is person that drives a leguna seca blue s2k too....

Quick Reply: S2000 + Anchorage Winter