S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is the S2000 Better than the Miata?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, one is depreciating in value... the other is appreciating.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blinder
Well, one is depreciating in value... the other is appreciating.
Thats not entirely fair. The ND is still being produced. The S2000 saw depreciation during its production run. NA Miata prices have hit their floor and good examples are getting more expensive by the year.

I loved my NA Miata. Wish I had the room to keep it and the S2000.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerd-Vol

Thats not entirely fair. The ND is still being produced. The S2000 saw depreciation during its production run. NA Miata prices have hit their floor and good examples are getting more expensive by the year.

I loved my NA Miata. Wish I had the room to keep it and the S2000.
My 95 NA M Edition has appreciated since I bought it a couple years ago.

For those of you hating on the body roll of the Miatas, of course you will because it's a complete dichotomy from the S2K. It's not what you're used to. It's engineered in there on purpose because it makes it easier and less sketchy to chuck the car around on the street, especially on bad, uneven roads without unsettling it.
It's a different dynamic that you get used to. Like I said (in my opinion), the S2K is a more serious sporty race-car, and the Miata is the more playful, go-kart toy. Both awesome and fun in their own way.

Owning both and driving them back-to-back on a daily basis, I can tell you that the S feels much bigger and heavier than the Miata. The S is also more difficult to get in to the cockpit.
That said, the S is much more comfortable, refined and nice than the Miata (At least the NA version).
I just purchased my S2k and I am debating whether I should keep the Miata around for beater duty or sell it. I still love driving it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Blinder
Well... the other is appreciating.
Of course it is. This is the most generic answer I've noticed from 95% of S2k owners (even though I own an S2k).

But, it isn't the point (at least for me).. the point for me is getting the most bang-for-your-buck in the future (or, if I/you were to ever lose your precious S2k), versus getting something for pure monetary or value reasons.

Supras and RX7s are also appreciating in value (so is any old, vintage, collector car)... that doesn't mean it's the best car to buy nor the best car for me. S2k will soon be ridiculously priced and unobtainable.

There will soon come a time when it's just not worth it to buy something so old, maybe previously wrecked, 5-10 previous owners, high mileage, etc. for top top ridiculous dollars.. over buying something affordable, almost just as good (if not better), for the enjoyment of driving pleasure.

For me... driving pleasure, affordability and realistic attainability... is much more important than the silly "status" of having something rare and appreciating in value.

I'd spend that $20k on a low mile and mint ND Miata any day... over a beat to sh*t S2k (in 5-10 years, I'm sure all S2ks selling in the $15-20k range are going to be beaters)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just sit and watch how in the next couple of years when the economy take a crap(innevitable) and all good s2ks come out of the woodwork.All those "collectors" will let go of their precious toys to cover other expenses.So is it appreciating right now??Yes...but when shit hits the fan and you need to save your house to prevent becoming homeless??The car will sell for whatever a buyer offers you..and those with cash will take advantage in those tough times.Just my point of view...
Old 07-12-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Su2uKa!
My 95 NA M Edition has appreciated since I bought it a couple years ago.

For those of you hating on the body roll of the Miatas, of course you will because it's a complete dichotomy from the S2K. It's not what you're used to. It's engineered in there on purpose because it makes it easier and less sketchy to chuck the car around on the street, especially on bad, uneven roads without unsettling it.
It's a different dynamic that you get used to. Like I said (in my opinion), the S2K is a more serious sporty race-car, and the Miata is the more playful, go-kart toy. Both awesome and fun in their own way.

Owning both and driving them back-to-back on a daily basis, I can tell you that the S feels much bigger and heavier than the Miata. The S is also more difficult to get in to the cockpit.
That said, the S is much more comfortable, refined and nice than the Miata (At least the NA version).
I just purchased my S2k and I am debating whether I should keep the Miata around for beater duty or sell it. I still love driving it.

Exactly. I tell folks, my old Miata was more fun to drive more often than the S2000 is. The Miata is very playful, and even normal speed driving is a delight. With the S2000 it doesn’t really become fun until you get a chance to push it a bit. To commute with or do mundane tasks, I would take the Miata every time. For a trip to the mountains, or an early morning pleasure drive, the Honda is fantastic.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBG
Just sit and watch how in the next couple of years when the economy take a crap(innevitable) and all good s2ks come out of the woodwork.All those "collectors" will let go of their precious toys to cover other expenses.So is it appreciating right now??Yes...but when shit hits the fan and you need to save your house to prevent becoming homeless??The car will sell for whatever a buyer offers you..and those with cash will take advantage in those tough times.Just my point of view...
The only one that this is going to happen to, is the person who over extended him or herself to buy in the first place. I doubt that very many "collectors" don't have other means to cover their debt if they have any. The cars that will become available are the high mileage, rebuilt beaters. People with money will always have money. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people. Want to buy my beater?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 AM

I am the one with cash put away,ready to pull the trigger on the right car...and no,I dont want your beater.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBG
I am the one with cash put away,ready to pull the trigger on the right car...and no,I dont want your beater.
In the mean time you're probably real happy with your Miata? Sure I can't interest you in my car?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Lol..I have never or will own a miata.Never been interested in that crap.I have owned two s in the past though.Sold both for much more that purchased.Looking for that final third one.And yours is not it.Keep dreaming.

Quick Reply: Is the S2000 Better than the Miata?