S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Brakes at the track

Old 01-29-2002, 12:40 PM
-dc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Brakes at the track

Hey guys,
great board. I've been looking for a fun all around, part-time track car to replace my old 930. I drove a student's S2000 at Road Atlanta recently, what a great track car!! It handles well and that engine is just sweet.

One concern, how do the s2000 brakes hold up to repeated hard track use with R-compound tires? Any cooling recommendations?

Thanks very much.

-dc
Old 01-29-2002, 12:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There have been quite a few discussions on this in the past. The search engine here is pretty good - give it a shot.

In general, people have had overheating issues both front and rear. Enough to break down Porterfield R4S pads. Some people are running front brake ducting solutions. Others have produced custom big brake caliper/rotor kits. I don't know of either that would work for the rears, however.

Depending on the track and how aggressive you want to be, you might not have any issues with just going with a more track-oriented pad like an R4S or Panther+. The stock brakes, however, certainly do have a limit.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:59 PM

Received 4,976 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Welcome. If you look further down the main page you will see a racing and competition forum... a better place to post the question. Also, there is a search engine at the top of the page, try puting in brakes.... there's been a lot of discussion on pads, etc. already.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:03 PM
-dc

opps. sorry bout that. I'll check the racing forum.

-dc
Old 01-29-2002, 01:20 PM

In comparison to my ITR and NSX, I'd say the S2k has the best brakes. I'm basing this on time with all three cars at RoadAmerica.

The S2000, especially once you realize it's high limits thru corners, has wonderful brake performance. Lap after lap, and no shudder.

-R
Old 01-29-2002, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After torching my stock break system at Laguna Seca, I have the following personal recommendations: use DOT 4 fluid in addition to race pads.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:50 PM

Ah yes, I should have said I'm using Castrol SRF, but other than that, the brakes are stock.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:33 PM

Saturday January 26 Warren Gilliland (the Brake Man) was at Button Willow race track to do some brake testing on three S-2000 cars

Prolene
His car is equipped with a Pinnacle Braking System complete front kit with #3 racing pads both front and rear. His car also has Pinnacle light weight rear rotor kit . The front kit removes 9 pounds per wheel of unsprung weight and the rear rotor removes almost 4 pounds of unsprung weight per wheel.

Testing his car front rotors reached temperature of 600 F and the front hat temperature was 250F
The rear rotor temperature was 300F rear hat was 200F

This was after 8 laps

Davepk
His car is equipped with Porterfield R4 pads front and rear , plus 3" brake ducting run to eye of rotor . Dust shields removed both front and rear

Testing his car front rotors reached temperature of 600 F and the front hat temperature was 400F ( this is where the wheel bolts on)
The rear rotor temperature was 400F rear hat was 350F

This was after 10 laps

Josh3io
His car is stock system with R4 Porterfield front and rear .
Testing his car front rotors reached temperature of 600 F and the front hat temperature was 500F ( this is where the wheel bolts on)
The rear rotor temperature was 400F rear hat was 350F

This was after 10 laps

You will notice that the brake ducts on Dave's car ,reduces the center hub area by 100 degrees but does not reduce rotor temperature reached at the pads .

This testing was done in the morning . The paint that is put on the surface will show the maximum temperature that a part has reached . This is not the temperature of the part back in the pits. You will notice that all the front rotors reached the same temperature . This is a fact , based on speed reached , weight of car , and rate of deceleration . All cars should be close . The difference in hat or center hub temperature is the difference , in "HEAT MANAGEMENT", keep the heat in rotor , not in the hub. The rear rotor temperatures surprised me . The rear stock rotor must load up with heat and reach a higher temperature . The light weight rotor is running cooler with racing pads on the rear . The increased surface area and shape must also promote cooling .

Prolene
Is running our #3 pads both front and rear . They are designed to run up to 1200 degrees .
These pads work the same cold ( backing out of your drive way) to the maximum temperature on the track . Why would you buy them ( they don't eat your rotors ) They also give fantastic driver response , at the petal , they don't grab or give different stopping characteristics over their entire temperature range . These pads are even used with aluminum rotors.
Josh3io
Changed his front pads to our #3 racing pad for the afternoon session . I will let him tell you how the pads worked . These were put on his scored rotors not the best for long pad life .

Some pads because of the high friction coefficient of friction creates a lot of heat in rotor by dragging between corners . This is death to rotors .

Also many racing pads , with high coefficient of friction , are installed on stock cars and the person thinks that they have greatly improved the brakes , because of the grabby nature of these pads . This is not an improvement ! You should be able to modulate the brake petal to give yourself just the amount of brake you desire , not go into ABS and hang on , while the computer does the braking .

We will be doing more testing at track events . I wish to develop a data base of braking information on the S-2000 . We will test any car that wishes , at any track day that we attend .

This summer I am going to try to attend Gingerman and other Mid West tracks .

brad
Old 01-29-2002, 07:23 PM

Received 4,976 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Brad, informative and interesting report. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by -dc
[B]Hey guys,
great board.

Quick Reply: S2000 Brakes at the track