S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The S2000 Is Not A Collector Car

Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The S2000 Is Not A Collector Car

I have owned three S2000's in the past, one high mileage AP1, and two low mileage AP1 (sub 30k miles). I sold the most recent one back in 2011.

I have been looking at purchasing another recently, as a fun weekend car for the wife and I here in Southern Cali. I have noticed, however, that almost without exception, everyone is asking $3-4k over KBB, and almost without exception, they're all convinced their car is worth it, and that anyone who wants to offer them less simply doesn't know what they're talking about. Oh, they're never in a hurry to sell either. I would say that 9/10 fit this description. I'm not sure if this is a southern California characteristic of the market (as I used to live on the east coast), or just of the S2000 market in general now. I'm not concerned with what I spend, so long as I don't overspend when I do it.

So, let me be the first to inform all of you, at least in my opinion, THE HONDA S2000 IS NOT A COLLECTOR CAR . . . YET! The S2000 has certainly bottomed out in value, and has increased slightly within the last 2-3 years, but the value of the average car has not gone up over $3k. As an example, when between cars.com/autotrader/craigslist/s2ki I can find as many as 20+ S2000's for sale at any given time within 40 miles of downtown San Diego, it's not a collector car.

Anyways, what's the deal with this? Is it all S2000 sellers now? Is it just more pronounced in Southern California? Curious as to what people's thoughts on the topic are.

(**Flame suit - activated**)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hagerty Insurance seems to disagree with you.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 1,551 Likes on 920 Posts

The value of anything is what 2 parties agree to sell/buy for. If an S owner has a price in mind to sell and does not mind waiting, that is the value in his mind. Maybe he will get it, maybe not. If something is not for sale, does that mean it is priceless?

Its the marketplace.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Preaching to the choir....car is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Who wouldn't want more money for their car?

As to no rush to sell, I've heard more than one seller tell me that only to call me back and we would make a deal. 90% of people who are selling a car, NEEDS to sell it but pretends otherwise. The other 10% is true and if you run into one of those owners, you either pony up or move on.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts

I see everyone looking to buy wants to pay peanuts, until once they are in, then they want to sell high too. Perception changes after ownership. Shows me how awesome the car is.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your looking for a S2000 you will know that what one calls a clean S differs. There are plenty of cars out there that fit in KBB box. The S is not one of them. You will spend lots of time hunting for the right one. What is your time worth? Anything is collectable and the S is worth what one is willing to pay.
Good luck on your venture.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah.. I have collectors car insurance on my car.

Price is raising, and people are asking more for their car because certain people are willing to pay for it. If the seller isn't in a rush to sell, they may ask a higher price and wait for someone to come along willing to pay a premium.

The numbers of our cars on the road are pretty rapidly decreasing, and as the car gets older, it's becoming harder and harder to find a truly "clean" car.

You just have to find someone with a clean car that is in need of money, or that is truly trying to sell their car, not just testing the waters.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM

What you guys are saying is pretty much what I expected. Buy low/sell high applies to just about everything in life. I don't blame people for asking for more than KBB, but while some sellers are reasonable and don't budge because they do have a "clean" car, others are selling a car with 95k miles and asking several grand over KBB.

In the end the car is worth what someone pays for it . . . the same goes for your house, your golf clubs, or anything else. I suppose most of the people I've dealt with really do have months to sit around while trying to sell their car. More power to them I suppose.

I obviously know how awesome the car is as this would be my fourth! I still believe there is a true market, and what some people perceive to be the market, but I'll just keep searching till I find the right balance of price and quality. It's out there somewhere.

Also, as a site note, what restrictions does Hagerty apply to insuring S2000's? I assume there are year/mileage restrictions, etc. as with most collector cars.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait you had three? One would consider that collecting.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM

1. Someone, DW, on S2KCA is selling a well kept 2000 MY, 133k miles, new top, nice updates, no serious mods, for under $11k.
2. A FL car I think is where he's from.

Quick Reply: The S2000 Is Not A Collector Car