S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

To S2000 owners who have had rear quarter panel damage, please read

Old 01-21-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my rear bumper repaired (removal of scratches followed by a repaint) and driver's side rear quarter panel replaced. I'm not happy with the work at all - the lines between the bumper, rear quarter panel, and taillights don't match up. Also, on the passenger side, the bumper "sticks out" past the quarter panel, and on the driver's side, the quarter panel "sticks out" past the bumper (in other words, the bumper looks like it's shifted slightly toward the passenger side). Despite these flaws, I'm getting little satisfaction from the insurance company and body shop - their perspective seems to be that these things are normal.

So, I'd like to know the experiences of those who have had the rear quarter panel replaced - were there inconsistencies, or did the work look like factory fit and finish? Am I being reasonable in expecting good, proper alignment between the quarter panel, bumper, and taillights? Any pics showing the repairs would be great as well.

I realize that the rear quarter panel is a tough job, but I was hoping for better than this. What irks me is the fact that I've already been to the shop three times (including the original visit) to try to work out the flaws - everytime, they fix the problem at hand, but introduce some other flaw (including scratching the bumper). Now they're reluctant to do anything else even though issues still remain.

I don't want you to side with me or to side with the body shop. It's not about that. I just want to know if things not lining up, slightly mis-aligned bumpers and quarter panels, etc., is a fact of aftermarket body work that can't be avoided.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have a rear quarter panel replaced but the bumper cover, one headlight, a front fender and the hood were and the other fender repaired. No gaps or unaligned surfaces anywhere. I did have to make them repaint to match the Spa Yellow properly.

It's your right to make it like new. I'd hold them to it, although it's very apt to be a pain in the ass (more downtime for repair)...
Old 01-21-2003, 04:07 PM

Happened to my brother's Prelude.

After he complained enough, they took it to another shop, which I think you can do. They totalled the car and gave him a $17,500 check.

The guy at the first shop kept saying that people just don't notice the flaws before the accident because they aren't looking for them when the car is new. "But those gaps are normal on Preludes".
Old 01-21-2003, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

jguerdat -

I know what you mean by "pain in the ass". It's already well past that extent. Now it's entering nightmare mode.

Incubus -

The situation you described sounds just like mine. The shop says the problems with the fit are normal, and the insurance adjustor says that the cars aren't perfect coming from the factory, either. Although that's true, it's simply ridiculous in this case, because there's no way in Hell the car came from the factory with flaws anywhere close to the ones that are present.

I'm currently working through the process of getting the issues fixed at another shop. Wish me luck...

If anyone else has any input, please do provide it (see the original post). Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:34 PM

cyber, ask if you can get another adjuster. Just go up the chain.

I wanted to laugh when the repairman said most cars come like that.

Just be professional and don't give in.

Barrett.