S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The S2000 vs. a Z car and Mustang...

Old 12-26-2000, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens:
[B]Ahhhh, 1/4 mile, eh?
Old 12-26-2000, 08:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have the wrong car for drag racing. There are plenty on Mustangs and 300Z TTs that will be as quick in the quarter and probably be more consistent. I suggest you try a different type of race or maybe trade for a Z28 with the Hi-po option.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ease up, Chris...it's still fun to push the car on the 1/4. I have done it, even though I FAR prefer road courses...it's still a hoot to get out and run 1/4 miles. And I have no plans to do it again...but it was fun.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:36 PM
Sev

It all depends on how much practice you have had drag racing the s2000.

If we were to suppose that it was your first time drag racing, i would put my bets with the other two.

If you are an experienced drag racer who has practiced on the s2k before, you shouldn't have a problem laying a few car lengths on each one.

Old 12-27-2000, 08:28 AM

I'd watch out for that Z. If you're sure all he's got done is intake and exhaust that should only have added about 10-15hp, however, if he's also (or someone else has) done the chip (Making it Stillen Stage III) that thing should scream. Z's handle a lot better than you think too - on a road course, but that's not the issue here. I drove a Z for 6 years, it's a great car. However, as soon as I sat in the S2000, it put me back in my seat like no other car I've been in. Seemed much faster as well from 45-110 or so. That being said, now when I get in the Z it REALLY seems torquey compared to the S. I don't generally do 7k RPM drops in the S though, he'll probably pull on you at the start but I imagine you'll reel him in. As for the Mustang, I don't have any real respect for them, doing just a standard 3kRPM drop from a stop light I hung with one right from the get go all the way until my lane ended. Neck and neck. Had I tried (and my wife not been in the car to give me the eye) I could've taken him. Will be interested to see how this all turns out.

Oh, and I agree about not taking the car length. Beat them straight up.
Old 12-27-2000, 09:30 AM

Once rolling neither of these cars have any advantage over the S. Both of these cars tested my stook on the same evening and I had no problem pulling away from them. As far as a drag goes, you will have to push it at the start as everyone has suggested. Have fun.
Old 12-27-2000, 12:43 PM

Don't forget to post the results. I think you'd beat both of those cars.

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom:
Well, it turns out that there are these 2 people at work who are doubting the abilities of the S2000 at our local track. Being sure of the car's capabilities, I am sensing no problem defeating a '99 Mustang GT (stock)or a '94 300ZX Twin Turbo with 86,000 (with some welfare exhaust). Just to make myself feel a little more confident (not that I am not too much already)I was wondering everyone's take on the situation.

Oh, btw, I have the updated clutch assembly, so no grinding or clutch slippage will (hopefully) happen. And, the track is saturated with VHT, so breaking my wheels loose shouldn't be that much of a concern.

Did I forget to add that the Z car is willing to give me a headstart (1 car) and is going to have another person in the car? Yep.

Hopefully my time at the track in the past will pay off. If not, these non-seasoned track wannabes are going to have a field day with me. Their brute power will hopefully fall victim the the grace and poise of the S2000. So if anyone has any tips for a good 'ol fashion Grudge Match between 3 fools (me included), please post.

Thanks.