UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Charged S2000 Reliabilty on Track?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Charged S2000 Reliabilty on Track?

At the thought of selling my car and loosing about a million pounds to buy something more track orientated I have come to the decision, bollocks to it, i'll keep the S2000 and spend (read waste) even more money on it

Now my theory is a Rotrex charged S2000 half track car half road car with a few choice bits and bobs on there.

My main concern is reliability as I will still be using the car everyday or most days, I believe they are fine on the road but what about on track?

Obviously i'm going to need a new clutch and probably a bigger rad and oil cooler but what else is there to consider?

My car has done ~50k and at the moment I can take it on track and thrash it all day with no problems, the last thing I want is broken gearboxes or diffs or even worse a broken engine.

Am I asking too much for a reliable charged car on track?

Any other thoughts? Have I missed anything?

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM

From my experience broken gearboxes and engines are par for the course, and that's without a super charger.

The diff's doing okay though.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:22 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If I was using an S2000 as a track car, i'd think about detuning the supercharger setup.

300 ish bhp would be where my target was, a baffled sump, sticky tyres, decent dics and pads, and some Bilstiens. Oil cooler may be wise.

Being sensible about oil changes would be wise too.

But as Dembo says, things break by themselves, you will just speed it up a bit
Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Sep 22 2009, 10:18 PM
From my experience broken gearboxes and engines are par for the course, and that's without a super charger.

The diff's doing okay though.
That's with 100k miles though isn't it?

I was under the impression that a bit of F/I take a good portion of stress from the induction stroke.

Surely there is more information on the Yank forums.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 PM

If my goal was track - I would stay NA.

I'd probably sell the S and get a Lotus.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Got to agree there. You just can't beat the running costs vs fun factor or a Lotus. Mine has cost me nowt in terms of reliability, and it needs no upgrades for track.

But, it's more of a compromise than an S2000...

I'd love another S, but i'd end up spending more than the Lotus cost on getting it to an equivalent track spec, and I don't need comfort right now.

Having been out in CiderBoy's S2 Elise R, I wouldn't hesitate in getting one if I was going to do track stuff. Very impressive bit of kit.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Ive tracked my car and whilst it was good fun and was no doubt quicker there was always the fear in the back of my mind it was going to turn into a very expensive day.

You can do a lot of prep work before hand, cooling/engine work ect, but at the end of the day your pushing a lot of bits harder then they were possibly designed for.

Saying that i will be going back out on track again but no where near as much as when the car was N/A
Old 09-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MB,Sep 22 2009, 09:31 PM
Having been out in CiderBoy's S2 Elise R, I wouldn't hesitate in getting one if I was going to do track stuff. Very impressive bit of kit.
I have to admit that if I had an income , I might be out looking for an Elise. I was impressed.

But if I was going to get really serious about trackdays, I'd buy a Caterfield and a trailer.

Is a supercharged S really going to be more fun on track? Yes you'll be able to be faster down the straights, but on a tight twisty circuit you could well be slower.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM

fined yourself an s1 lotus and stick a k20 ctr engine in it go for the lighter fly wheel and altered final drive and if that is not fast enough for you put the charger on.

the only thing with the s1 is you won't be able to go out in your skirt any more cos of the high sill.

Quick Reply: Charged S2000 Reliabilty on Track?