S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2k or SI?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k or SI?

First thing I want to say is that I own both the 2007 S2k and the 2010 SI
I use the S2k for pure pleasure and enjoyment, no more no less. To me the S2k is only for pleasure, it has no practicality to it as a car. However, the SI is my dd car. I don’t have to worry if it rains, snow, or it’s a sunny blue sky. The SI will do the job, and will do it well too while having fun driving it.

I also want to add that I will never sell my S2k, NEVER! I just love the car, it’s as simple as that. I was never into cars much until I bought the S2k. I always viewed cars as a mean of transportation, no more no less. But the S2k brought a passion for sports cars and fun driving experience that is unique.

Now here comes the question: If you had to choose between the SI and the S2k, which one would you chose?

Before you think I smoke something for even asking such question think of it this way: WOULD YOU WANT PRACTICALITY WHILE STILL HAVING FUN DRIVING IT (the SI Sedan can carry 5 adults) OR WOULD YOU PREFER A UNIQUE CAR, UNIQUE STYLE, A HEAD TURNER KIND OF CAR, BUT YOU CAN’T DRIVE IT ON THE SNOW, AND LET’S ADMIT IT, THE S2K ISN’T A CAR TO BE DRIVEN ON THE WINTER. Not that you cannot drive it on the winter, but it isn’t made to be driven on harsh winter conditions. It is a car to be driven on race tracks and on summer time.

So if you had to choose one car (only one car), what would you get? The practical for dd, yet fun to drive SI or the pure sport and unique looks and unique driving experience you’ll get on the S2k, but it isn’t as practical as the SI for dd
Which one would you chose?

Now why would I ask such question? Simply because reading here and other places I see the SI does not get much credit for what it is as a car. It is a fantastic dd type of car. I can carry 5 adults if I had to, or I can still redline to 8k if I want to, still reliable and fun to drive. While from the S2k I get better and more exciting driving experience, but you can't carry 5 adults if you had to, you can't carry much on this car, it's a 2 seats. I feel the SI does not get the proper credit it deserve.

PS. Again, do not misunderstand what I'm asking here. I love the S2k, and will never trade it for anything, but I think the SI deserves better credit than what people give stricly because it is a great dd practical car.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 AM

For one car to DD for life, I'd pick the SI. I love my 2 seaters but they won't work for me forever...
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did make that choice... S2000 and a second set of tires for the winter... drove it everywhere in the snow, no problem... and I autox it regularly.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 AM

for a DD, fwd is boss.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Option 1: S2000

Option 2: Si

Option 3: Both

I picked option 3 like the OP did. I love both cars and they are both fun and unique in their own way. What the Si loses out in terms of sharper handling, more responsive engine, it makes up by providing practicality and is the closest coupe/sedan from Honda that can come close to the experience of driving an S2000.

I track my Si in addition to daily driving it, and let me assure you it has what it takes to keep up with and pass S2000's and other cars.

Coming to the question, posed by the OP. When I started looking, I bought the Si for practical reasons. Not even a full year later I bought the S because I always had this sense of regret for not buying the one car I'd waited for, for so many years.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a lot of factors to consider - what your commute is like, how many people you need to drive around regularly, what the weather conditions are in your area.

Personally, I'd have to go with the S2k. My commute is short. I rarely have anyone back seat passengers in my beater, and it's not that bad in the winter with a set of snow tires and a hard top (although the price of those 2 things alone can justify a beater).

While the balance of practicality and run to drive factor of the SI is great (I came from an RSX Type-S), I'm all about the fun to drive. The S is about as fun to drive as the SI when commuting, but about twice as much more fun when racing. Practicality? I'll borrow a friends car.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 AM

S2000 hands down and then buy a $1,500 beater to haul people and be "practical". I've put 25,000 trouble free miles on my 93 civic that I paid $800 for 3 years ago. Best purchase of my life, it's already paid for itself in fuel savings and saves me $50 a month on insurance.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM

If you can only maintain one vehicle, then keep the Si. The S is definately an exihilarating vehicle to drive but at the same page is not the Si?

My first two vehicles were a 1980 Fiat Spider and 1983 Alfa Romeo Spider. Not at fun obviously as the S, but they definately had their own character. I was living at home and had a garage to store them. One of the big plusses was that you did not have to drive the group of people to where ever. The down side is being able to haul large items. I have hauled a chair in the Fiat (top down) and helped friends move in the Alfa (top down also).

Got rid of both due to reliability issues and bought a 1992 Acura Integra 3dr. Could haul more stuff (and it still does) but getting older and having nieces and more stuff had to upsize to an Xterra. Still own the Integra and still enjoy driving it as a dd.

Long story short. If you are single (or boyfriend or married and no kids), have a garage to store it, and do not have the need to haul large items at distance then definately keep the S. If you are planing a family, usually the taxi, drive regularly in winter weather, travel long distances, then the Si.

Nobody can make your mind up for you. The changes in your life will dictate your transportation needs. Hopefully, people in your life will supercede the S.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Aug 11 2010, 07:00 AM
I track my Si in addition to daily driving it, and let me assure you it has what it takes to keep up with and pass S2000's and other cars.

The SI has been perceived wrongly in my opinion. It is perceived as just a **Civic**

Everyone always praises the Integra Type - R. But is the Integra Type - R really that much better than a 2010 SI? I don't think so.....
And everyone forgets that the SI has the same exact engine than the RSX Type - S

So the SI is NOT just a **Civic**

PS. I don't track the SI. Why should I when I have the S2k
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP mentioned that the SI doesnt get a lot of credit in this forum but i think for good reason. Its over priced and has mediocre speed and handling with average MPG's. Thats why i would never chose this car over my S2K. For a DD i guess the SI is decent but i would want something that gets way better gas mileage and not just a few more MPG;s than my S2K. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: S2k or SI?