S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soft top nervousness about potential tear!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top nervousness about potential tear!

So my soft top has a little slit in the usual spot (rear driver side behind the headrest) and its made me not want to ever put the roof down. I dont know what to do because when i have put it down ill put it back up and i can see that area has been aggrovated again and im worried that its gonna tear and cost me ££££ to replace. Its actually getting me down as i love the car but i feel i cant use it properly! Its a lovely sunny day here in England and i want to use the convertible properly!

Any advice/solutions that i havent tried would be greatly appreciated.

I have done a protective patch on the offending area and put the modifry(i think) strap upgrade on the inner bars.

Cheers!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Driver's side? This is obviously on the right (starboard) side exactly where my 2006 wear occurred. There are sharp edges on the roof hardware at those corners that need to be smoothed out. Internal patch will help. I put one inside and a small patch outside. Outside patch is black GoreTex, the same patch I use on my parka. Initial patch was just replaced after 2 years. Inexpensive but works.

I'm replacing the entire roof in a couple of months even though this is the only problem. Don't want to be bothered with any problems in the future. But the external patch worked wonderfully and didn't look THAT bad.

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2019, 06:13 AM

I didnt mention but im in the UK so drivers is the right . Yeah i thought about doing an external patch but i dunno itll just look a bit crap then!

How much are you looking to pay to be replace the entire roof? And are you going honda or alternative?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the exact same issue. The size of the tear and location.

I had a patch applied to both passenger and drivers side by a professional auto repair shop (Lims in Chantilly VA). I was nervous about the cosmetics but the work is so clean it almost looks like it was done from factory. No way anyone can tell there was a repair made.
I'll try to get some pictures later today if I can...

They wanted to apply stuff on the outer layer to warranty their work but I passed. The patch job has held on for more than a year and a half. They charged me $100 but said that it would apply towards labor on a new top (if I decided to get one from them - which I do eventually).

I apply vinyl protect every now and then and it really helps my 15yr old top look pretty good.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM

I just picked up an 05 and noticed the passenger side had a very small tear starting so I did some research on a few different products and tried out this stuff called Stormsure. They make a black kind that blends in with the top pretty well (I just applied it to the underside for now). Once it's dry it's also flexible but is supposed to hold up really well too so it should be a good product for something like a soft top on our cars. I may apply a small patch over the spot I fixed but I don't think it even needs that really. I will be smoothing down the corners of the bar though and I also picked up the replacement Modifry soft top straps which should all help with any new problem areas forming (I hope).
Old 04-19-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robotvoice
I just picked up an 05 and noticed the passenger side had a very small tear starting so I did some research on a few different products and tried out this stuff called Stormsure. They make a black kind that blends in with the top pretty well (I just applied it to the underside for now). Once it's dry it's also flexible but is supposed to hold up really well too so it should be a good product for something like a soft top on our cars. I may apply a small patch over the spot I fixed but I don't think it even needs that really. I will be smoothing down the corners of the bar though and I also picked up the replacement Modifry soft top straps which should all help with any new problem areas forming (I hope).
There are quite a number of different Stormsure products. Are you specifically referring to this one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stormsure...tube/158320788
Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The black Gortex patch kit blends well. And since scheduling a roof replacement seems to look better every day. But I'm definitely replacing the roof.

Can't write about UK roof replacements. North American prices are roughly $700 for a Robbins Haartz cloth roof. THEN it needs to be professionally installed or be prepared to spend a complete Saturday doing it right. I did my MGB roof all by myself years ago but the S2000 needs to have much of the interior trim removed to install properly or the roof will leak where you can't see it. The installer we have scheduled in a few weeks needs the seats removed so any "security bolts" securing the seat tracks need to be removed. First major maintenance on my '06 car.

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by rudyy
There are quite a number of different Stormsure products. Are you specifically referring to this one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stormsure...tube/158320788
Yeah that's the one.