S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spoon's Cold Air Guide Duct.

Old 04-24-2001, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultimate Lurker;different filters shape were tested and the most effective for our CAI was the panel filter;filter element is in polyester like our stock replacement filter.
Better filtering power and better air flow.

Schatten;"real world"tests were done and we never had a problem with debris ,insects ,water etc

Tedster;we are willing to do third party tests(we did it in several occasions already).
Our tests (done in Italy)were very impressive for a CAI ,the smallest increase was misured in 5kw and the best one at 8,5 kw,that translate in approx 7 and 11,5 hp.
(Was my intention to wait to make a declaration on power increase,but I received so many e-mails in these days that I took the risk !!)
Old 04-24-2001, 06:45 PM

for who e-mail me for the prices;
-Backyard Special in carbon $335.00
-Backyard Special in fiberglass $185.00
-Carbing $125.00
-Spoon $450.00
-MG Racing cold air intake in carbon plus filter in polyester $850.00
Old 04-24-2001, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Giampiero
[B]for who e-mail me for the prices;
-Backyard Special in carbon $335.00
-Backyard Special in fiberglass $185.00
-Carbing
Old 04-24-2001, 07:45 PM

shingles;no fiberglass but a special plastic.
By the way ,due to the very high initial investment ,it will not be ready untill September;price will be approx.$350/375.
Old 04-24-2001, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Giampiero
shingles;no fiberglass but a special plastic.
By the way ,due to the very high initial investment ,it will not be ready untill September;price will be approx.$350/375.
ok, sounds good... I'll be in line come september... you can count on it.

-Shing
Old 04-25-2001, 06:26 AM

[/B][/QUOTE]

Not to doubt that at all Greg, but would it also collect any more dirt, grime and water from underneath, scooping it up? I think a little less debris, although probably the same amount of moisture would be collected from the Spoon. Thinking daily driver here.

Thoughts? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with you Schatten, and FWIW Mugen warns about use of their CAI in the rain.
Old 04-25-2001, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have strayed from the poster's original topic here, but I will answer quickly how the question of debris and water. First of all, the intake has to be almost, but not quite, submerged in STANDING water before there is any danger of hydro-lock.

Moreover, there is an AIR FILTER in the passageway. The job of the filter is to prevent debris, small animals, soccor balls and other unidentified minutia from getting access to the intake tube. Frankly, I don't understand what this "debris" argument is all about. It's an intake, it has a filter...

Drive through standing water, which I would estimate would have to be about 7-8 inches deep, then you may have trouble. My car only goes out in the rain by mistake, so I for one can't imagine it happening. Brad's (meat) GSR has the AEM intake that is probably even lower than mine and it has been his daily driver for years...never had a problem. Is hydro-lock an issue? We probably all know someone who has known or heard of someone who toasted their engine because of it. What you don't know is what kind of putz would drive through some standing water when he/she knows that the intake is likely to suck water into the tube.

Caveat emptor...but be wise.

The debris thing...I'm kind of at a loss about what that is all about.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wasnt' really getting into what might go into the intake itself, but the scoop would be effected, possibly chipped up - even if its made of CF or plastic as the cheaper version in the future will be made of. true, you will not be able to see it, being so low and hidden. true, the airfilter collects the moisture and debris, but being next to the ground - where this one is placed might seem a little more susceptible to these kind of factors.

and for the reason why this was brought up - its all on topic and not out of context at all - it has to do with the air intake itself. my q's deal with the placement of the ram air intake that was in question, and I was simply adding to the questions by bringing up a "real world" drivability situtation, which shouldn't be ignored since you are a daily driver yourself and you are supporting these products to be applied on cars for daily driving.

not familiar with the AEM intake on the GSR, but thanks for the reference to look into.

thanks for the responses Giampiero and Greg.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]<snip> I was simply adding to the questions by bringing up a "real world" drivability situtation, which shouldn't be ignored since you are a daily driver yourself and you are supporting these products to be applied on cars for daily driving.

</snip>