S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Theft, New s2000 owner desperately need help!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vatko
Get the seat locks next time. Not saying they are 100% deterrent.. but the chances are the sits will still be in the car.
Sure, and a good alarm also. Can anyone recommend an alarm for s2k?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cc_gip
Originally Posted by Vatko' timestamp='1316999003' post='21004976
Get the seat locks next time. Not saying they are 100% deterrent.. but the chances are the sits will still be in the car.
Sure, and a good alarm also. Can anyone recommend an alarm for s2k?
A Viper/Clifford will do but an alarm is only as good as the install. If you want a good shop, call up Ryan at Radio Active (Radioactive?) in Jonesboro, GA. He was heavily recommended by guys on s2kAtlanta. I'm getting a Viper alarm installed on my NSX by him on Wednesday. Prices started at $400 installed.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I went with a two way Viper alarm, 5902. I also got some additional modules for added functionality.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 AM

when the adjuster puts that price for used seats, he needs to list the source so you can actually get it at that price, they can't just put a random price/salvage yard.

When he leaves, you call and see if they're available, if they are then when they get to the shop you inspect them, 9/10 times used seats have blemishes and are not acceptable. If they're not available, then you call adjuster back and he changes estimate to NEW seats (adjuster will confirm availability so it's gotta be legit).

USUALLY, and that's a big usually, the adjuster will acknowledge that you tried to obtain the used seats and it didn't work out, so they'll change the estimate to reflect NEW seats from honda (price bump). If he has an a$$hole supervisor, he may make you try different used parts vendors, as to how many depends on how big of an a$$hole his supervisor is.

You need to take it to a shop that gets along with the adjusters, has good communication with them, and has some way to document the condition of the used seats if need be.

a 2002 with 28,000 miles, it's probably worth around $8k - $14k depending on your area and what the going market price is, and with a big enough salvage big, it could still be a total loss.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An '02 with 28,000 miles is only worth $8K? Are you serious?

Even $14K is about 2-4K low.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 AM

You need to understand your policy better and find out what rights you have. The insurance company has to replace them with parts of equal or greater value, i.e., in at least as good a shape. Your photos will be documenting proof of the shape they were in. Normally, they go OEM with stuff, but depending on availability and what your policy covers, things change.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
However, this was me arguing with the person at fault's insurance company. Not entirely sure how it is trying to win a battle with your own insurance company, but I am pretty sure they have to take the car where you want them too.
Depends on state law. They can't do that in Texas. Can't speak for the OP's location.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by SpacemanBrent

This was the dealer estimate that I received in July. Needless to say, my S2K was totaled.
Bag of washers $40 bag of rivets $40. Holy cowhell gotta love how the dealer makes their money. You could go to home depot and Lowes and buy every washer and rivet both stores had in stock and still wouldn't spend $80
Old 09-26-2011, 03:34 PM

You have to look at it from the dealer's stand point. They don't have the washers and rivets in-stock and Honda (if they even use Honda) only sells them in-quantity. They'll just have product sit on the shelf until the end of time if they charge the customer for only what is used.

...but in that instance, I'd make sure I get what is left of the unused bags.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:15 PM

I add some pictures for the seats they used for estimate. Any input is welcome I am going to call them tomorrow. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Theft, New s2000 owner desperately need help!