S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Theft, New s2000 owner desperately need help!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Originally Posted by cc_gip' timestamp='1317156347' post='21012498
Thank you for your analysis. I did not tell the insurance company my plan, I come up with it because if I get everything fixed to its original condition who knows there will not be another loss in the future (I am a graduate student here in atlanta, I could not afford renting a single family house with garage). I do not know it is considered as scam, I did find it is your decision to spend the fund. That is my understanding of it and I found other owners did suggest getting after market seats and a better alarm system after theft. You mentioned they sold for 1000 on Craiglist, I admit that but it is largely because there are way too many thefts and I do not think we should ever buy or consider craiglist/ebay as resources to estimate value. (I know Honda asks way more than it worth...)

But I guess you know this business really well, they told me exactly the same thing like "it is used"...My logic is every insured car is a used car, and when you estimate the value, it is not a dichotomous thing (either new or used), it is all depending upon the condition of it and I am really sure about my s2k is great condition (Cosmetically, it is better than any AP2 I saw below 17k bucks), I spent half year and finally found this one 500 miles away from atlanta. I told them I can accept the passenger seat from the junk yard but it is absolutely unacceptable for the driver one.
I had assumed you did not tell the insurance company your plan, however you have posted it on an online, open forum fully visible by anyone who works for them. You also have mentioned the company you are insured with and while they probably won't look, you never know.

The reason I used the word 'scam' is you are wanting full value to replace your seats with brand new ones from Honda - but know well they are not really worth that and can be easily purchased on the For Sale forums for much cheaper. In fact there is an absolutely MINT set of 00-05 seats for sale in the Mid-A section for $600. If you're interested, I would suggest jumping on them - they literally are perfect.

And yes, you are correct, the vehicle should be restored to the condition before it was damaged - that does not mean however you get the money to buy brand new seats. You will be compensated for comparable seats to what you had - which is not going to be $4000.

The seats I was referencing:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/831...1-black-seats/
To be frank I am very confident that the interior of my s2k is better or equivalent to a lot 06 and up s2k. If insurance company can find one that is comparable to mine locally or in a given time frame(I do not know the rules for this) that's fine. If not, I dont see why I cannot ask them quote from dealer minus reasonable depreciation. But anyway thank you for letting me know the seats for sale, they seem better than mine (removed at 23000 miles, lol) and I will consider them when the settlement is finalized.