S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tire flat???

Old 06-12-2002, 04:51 PM
SinD

Ok so I came home and it was STILL leaking... my dad helped me change it and I got the spare on for now till tomorrow a.m. when I can get it fixed. Theres a medium sized screw in it. Going to get it patched up of course. Funny thing is I tried putting the tire into the trunk... ahmm it didn't fit?? So I had to put a towel on my passenger side seat and place the tire there. It sort of sucks because what if I was on a trip with someone and I got a flat tire? Where am I going to put the tire? Hmm Oh well guess it's something else that needs to be figured out....
Old 06-12-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you blow out a rear tire or a front tire??

Don't forget, you're not suppose to put the donut spare tire on the rear. If you blew out a rear tire, you're suppose to put the donut spare on the front tire and use the front tire on the rear. If you don't, you can damage the LSD.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:20 PM
SinD

WHOA!! THANK GOD for this site! I didn't know that. Going to do that RIGHT NOW... I just told my dad he didn't know that either.... THANKS again for the info it's GREATLY!!! appreciated.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:38 PM
SinD

WOOHOO under 10 mins! I teamed up with my dad he loosened up the back while i did the front and we switched 'em and then each did our respective area and we are done! Once again thanks for the info guys!!!
Old 06-12-2002, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SinD
Funny thing is I tried putting the tire into the trunk... ahmm it didn't fit?? So I had to put a towel on my passenger side seat and place the tire there. It sort of sucks because what if I was on a trip with someone and I got a flat tire? Where am I going to put the tire? Hmm Oh well guess it's something else that needs to be figured out....
Cindy, in order to put the rear tire in the trunk, you need to remove the trunk "floor" and the tool carrier (foam rubber piece) and tools. Then you can stand the tire up in the well. Hopefully, you will still have room to put the tools, etc. in the trunk, also.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NO PLUG! I have always been of the opinion that a high performance tire like the S02 should never use a "plug" to repair a puncture. The prefered way to repair is to remove the tire from the wheel and install a patch from the inside. This reduces the size of the hole that has to be made to do the repair and hence lesson the amount of material needed to cover the puncture, making the tire balance better. A big "plug" would also adversely affect the strength of the tire in a "performance" environment as in high speed overtaking, not to mention competition driving.
ps. The tool tray is to be placed into the space where the spare came out of, leaving the rest of the trunk for the damaged wheel/tire.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:24 AM
SinD

To follow up... I got my tire PATCHED (no to plug my dad would have KILLED ME!) this morning. The guys were real nice. Took it to a local place here. Cost be about $8. They fixed the patch and were able to switch the tires around for me and put the spare back in it's place! They really liked my car too! So Now I just am going to double check the pressure they put in the tire and I am good to go. Once again thanks for all that info guys it was LOTS OF HELP. As for being able to stand it up in the trunk well, too much trauma to take all those tools and stuff out, whatever I'm done with it and hopefully it won't happen for a WHILE!
Old 06-13-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SinD
To follow up... I got my tire PATCHED (no to plug my dad would have KILLED ME!) this morning. The guys were real nice. Took it to a local place here. Cost be about $8. They fixed the patch and were able to switch the tires around for me and put the spare back in it's place! They really liked my car too! So Now I just am going to double check the pressure they put in the tire and I am good to go. Once again thanks for all that info guys it was LOTS OF HELP. As for being able to stand it up in the trunk well, too much trauma to take all those tools and stuff out, whatever I'm done with it and hopefully it won't happen for a WHILE!
Cindy, you only need to remove two items from the bottom of the trunk: the tool cover (floor) and the tools and carrier as a unit. Two pieces.

One note of caution: when you pick up the tool carrier there are two tabs that can break off easily on the side closest to you. So, pick up the side farthest away from you first and pull it away from you at the same time to pull those tabs out of the holes that they are in.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:18 PM
SinD

Thanks for the info and all the help but the mission is complete. I got the tire fixed and in order and the spare put back in. But thanks again for all your help it's greatly appreciated and Hopefully it wont be too soon when i have to change a tire again