S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Top Speed Limiter for the '02?

Old 08-26-2002, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by aguban
Yea it does sound awesome with the box taken off.
How much of a difference would an aftermarket cai opposed to the stock intake w/ out the box?

Taking the cover of the airbox off decreases the performance of the S. It may sound great, but it is slowing you down.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:37 PM

Sure, maybe by .05 horsepower. How do you figure? A little warmer air? At those speeds with all the air rushing in from the front and underneath, we're talking about a negligeable amount if anything.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eze8199
[B]

Taking the cover of the airbox off decreases the performance of the S.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:08 PM

Received 801 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally posted by SEVNT4
Sure, maybe by .05 horsepower. How do you figure? A little warmer air? At those speeds with all the air rushing in from the front and underneath, we're talking about a negligeable amount if anything.
Taking the cover off in warm weather has a pretty significant effect - probably along the lines of 10 horsepower. You end up pulling a lot of hot air from the back of the engine bay in. I usually pull the top off late in the fall when the air is cool and dry, just for the sound - but the performance loss is still present (just not as noticable).

As for you only reaching 115, I can only surmise that something is not right with your car.

- airbox cover off
- low oil?
- bad gas (too low octane) ?
- extremely hot conditions?

It's not the VTEC transition point (~102 mph in 6th), so your guess is as good as mine.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WestSideBilly
[B]

Taking the cover off in warm weather has a pretty significant effect - probably along the lines of 10 horsepower.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:24 PM

Without a doubt, hot days will impact any car. Cover off or on. Remember, the car is fairly brand new with only 1,200 miles and doesn't have any odd symptoms. Oil level is just right, temperature was high 70's, low 80's. I use high octane only. The only two things I can think of are A: a new car limiter till you hit X miles until fully broken in or B: I didn't max out my 5th gear, thus not having enough pull to go past 115 in 6th. Just means another test

[B]

Taking the cover off in warm weather has a pretty significant effect - probably along the lines of 10 horsepower.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Mark Esquibel
I have had my 02 Suzuka Blue over 135mph twice now. I only have 6,000 miles on the odometer. I do know that in 5th gear vtec engages at 100 mph. You would need alot of road to make it to 150mph. I will keep trying
151 here!
Old 08-26-2002, 06:52 PM

Received 801 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally posted by aguban
So wouldnt you have the same problem with an aftermarket intake as well?
Most aftermarket intakes are designed to pull air from outside the car (i.e. AEM/Injen's snorkel type, Mugen's bottom feeder, etc).

Originally posted by SEVNT4
Without a doubt, hot days will impact any car. Cover off or on. Remember, the car is fairly brand new with only 1,200 miles and doesn't have any odd symptoms. Oil level is just right, temperature was high 70's, low 80's. I use high octane only. The only two things I can think of are A: a new car limiter till you hit X miles until fully broken in or B: I didn't max out my 5th gear, thus not having enough pull to go past 115 in 6th. Just means another test
That kills my theorys. At those temps, you should have no trouble reaching 130+ with the airbox cover off (been there, done that). 6th gear will pull (albeit slowly) all the way up to 145 or wherever your car tops out. I guess I'd revisit the aforementioned road at some later date and see what happens. If it won't go above 115, take it to the dealer - something is wrong

Oh, dumb question, you weren't going up, say, a 6% grade or anything, were you?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:02 PM

I've had my '02 Berlina Black beauty up to 135+ once on a semi-rural freeway; while she was smooth as silk, I was a little too nervous about the "area's finest" spotting me.
I need to locate a track to take her - it's driving me nuts not being able to test her top end limit.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:03 PM

Would the fact that I was pulling a 2 ton trailer behind me on a 6% uphill grade make a difference with the A/C on at full blast? j/k

The car was on a fairly level road and some downhill at a certain point. That's what makes it so odd.

[B]

That kills my theorys.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:09 PM

Long wide open road you could see for 2-3 miles with absolutely nothing to the right or left. It was a desert road after I just got through a mountain pass. Absolutely no cars for miles. Just me, the S2K, the sun and the road.
Angeles Crest on the way to Palmdale? Road ties into Sierra Hwy.

Quick Reply: Top Speed Limiter for the '02?