S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Two rock chips... how should I deal with this?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two rock chips... how should I deal with this?

So my exterior is dam near mint. Except, there are 2 small rock chips on my drivers side fender. These chip are very very small. I would say the size of a crumb of food. Typically I wouldnt care about rock chips, but these chips both appeared to chip thru the paint and primer and went deep enough to hit the metal. These spots have signs of rust.

Should I worry about these tiny rust spots? Will this rust grow??? Would you guys want pictures to determine this? or am I paranoid? I was thinking of sanding the rust off, and useing a touch-up pen on it....but the chips are small and I think i would be doing more damage with the sandpaper trying to fix the little rust spots.

So....what should I do?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would want to see pictures but to me no rust is good rust. It is like cancer and slowly works its way in..., unless it is on the surface only and even then..., If it were me I would pay to get the body work done. Early is better, quick grind and some paint and it may not be too much. I'm anal about the look of the car though. I can't even drive with a burnt out bulb.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Depending on the size of the crumb haha, you could try to clean the rust off with wd-40 or whatnot, then tape off the paint surrounding the chip and spray paint a light clear-coat over it? maybe.. just an idea!
Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def use some touch up paint too if it is small enough after cleaning it of course just to prevent rust from growing

as donovan said rust is like cancer..i didnt take care of a little rock chip on my other car and you can already see it has enlarged just due to the rain and whatnot hitting it more and with no protection on it...it can enlarge
Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't even mess with the "pen". I tried it and it only changed the color of the chip on my front bumper which I've been living with for almost two years. Last week, I backed my car into a vinyl garbage can that someone had pushed into my driveway and of course didn't see. This left large chips and gashes around my tailpipe. A bodyshop fixed all my problems for $175. Almost glad I hit the garbage can just to get rid of the chip on the front bumper.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 AM

i had 2 pea sized rock chips on my pass side and i was like, "ill take care of it later' couple months later i see one of them has started a minor rush expansion! i clean it up and put some primer then touch up then some clear coat. all i can say is it looks decent...not by any means flawless...
Old 09-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks dude... I will be going to a body shop ASAP and get these two bastards taken care of. I wish the last owner would have fixed this...

If only the car was made of fiberglass hehe
Old 09-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Wake up call! Any rust spot will grow in higher humidity climates >55% humidity. You will see it grow and eat your metal underneath the paint.
You have to do this:
Remove the rust using wire brush or other metal tool small enough for the chip. Don't lubricate the surface!
Use a rust protecting primer over the bare metal- RustBullet is best!
Base coat touch up paint it to body color.
Clear coat touch up paint it.
level it with finest abrasive paper to bring to shine.
Wax or use sealant such as Klasse for maintenance free repair.

If you don't do this, rust will eat your sheet metal up.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 AM

I went to a high end auto body shop....the guy says it is new surface rust, and he doesnt want my money tof ix it....told me to fix it.

I got a sandpaper pen (actully uses stiff fibreglass strands) and i have order up a touch up pen and a touch brush (like a nail polish bottle) from the honda dealership.

Life with cars is so much easier if you have a beater... haveing a cool mint s2000 is almost a hassle at times. I am in a rush to get this done, as I am winter parking the car in 1.5more weeks