S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Vtec before 600 miles?

Old 01-21-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec before 600 miles?

Alright well first off I found a thread by searching (hard to come up with a good search term? ), but it was almost a 4 year old thread, and for the most part it didn't seem to be too conclusive because the car was too new at that point.

Anyways, I'm looking at buying a barely used 06. Chances are the Vtec was probably used during the first 600 miles because of the extremely low mileage of the vehicle. Not saying definite, but probably. The question I have then, is what kind of repercussions (wrong sp I know) are we talking about for Vtec being used early. Shorten the longevity of the engine? Maybe drastically? The other thread had mentioned increased oil consumption. Anything I should be aware of before I even strongly consider this? If I can get them to lower their price it will be a pretty sweet deal, but I don't want to take any chances!

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:13 AM

You have to figure out what it is you want out of your car. Do you want something well cared for or something to trash. I discovered after the fact that I really wanted my s2000 straight off the trailer. Only after I bought my car did I understand why anyone would be so fanatical to take it straight off the trailer, absolutely brand new. That way, you know exactly what is happening to the car, plus you would have to observe all service done on it.

I talked to one parts guy at a Honda dealership in Laredo, Tx. When they first got the car in to the showroom, when it first came out, the management let the employees race the car on the highway. This guy said he took it out at 120 miles per hour. So, do you think they didn't vtec it, and it was brand new.
At one local Austin, Texas dealership, I was waiting for the oil change, and I saw some guy drive my car out. Who knows what he did with it. I started taking my car to a quick lube that I found to trust and watch them and talk to them. I have a friend who does my other work who knows more about the car than any dealership around here.

So, maybe this car you are looking at will be okay, maybe not. Mine had 4,500 miles on it by the general manager of the San Marcos dealership. It has 43,000 miles now. I guess you have to figure out how much you think you are going to love this car. I loved it when I bought it, but now I love it even more after I found out what all it can do, and the way it drives, and all the neat things that the Honda engineers did to make it so great.

p.s. check out TSB on oil consumption. The first 6000 miles, it eat more oil. Also, it will eat more oil when you vtec it! You are always checking the oil. Also, the first 6000 miles, if it needs oil, it needs factory fill oil. The San Marcos dealership gave me my car without checking the oil, and it was a quart low!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Longevity of the engine will be reduced by half.!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 AM

Warp Drive Implosion, and complete destruction of your flux capacitor.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:20 AM

MY04 came with 100 test drive miles on it. To think some yahoo didn't VTEC it during some of those miles would be foolish. I myself probably got on it a few times before my 750 rolled around..

Engine is perfect. No oil loss.. No nothing.

Unless your a complete idiot driving 8K everywhere you go, don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by S2K'ing-IN-Spokane,Jan 21 2006, 10:20 AM
MY04 came with 100 test drive miles on it. To think some yahoo didn't VTEC it during some of those miles would be foolish. I myself probably got on it a few times before my 750 rolled around..

Engine is perfect. No oil loss.. No nothing.

Unless your a complete idiot driving 8K everywhere you go, don't sweat the small stuff.
That MY04 isn't like "my 04", it stands for "model year".
Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 AM

I had 8 miles when i took delivery of my car...nice to know whats going on with your car...If you feel uncomfortable with the fact that you have no idea what happened to your car, then why don't you just get a new one....how much more could it cost for a new one...$10.00-$15.00 extra a month...?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 407 Likes on 226 Posts

I've been romping on my '05 since the day I picked it up. Changed to synthetic at 3k miles, no oil loss at all, and engine runs perfect. I do always warm the motor up for 3-5 minutes before hitting VTEC. Other than that, if there's open road, there's VTEC.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search. This horse has been beaten beyond death.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by steve c,Jan 21 2006, 10:45 AM
Search. This horse has been beaten beyond death.
like I said I've tried searching if you have any ideas for terms I'd love to hear, originally tried searching for '600' found the old thread i had mentioned, and that was after scrolling through pages of completely useless BS lol. if you have ideas I'd be glad to hear, just numbers don't seem to work, and neither does vtec.... heh

and also the reason why I'm looking at buying the used 06 is because it will save me aLOT more than just 15 bucks a month... it'll probably end up saving me, for a 5 year loan, (once again if I were to get them as low as I would like ) like 60 bucks or more a month, I'd be willing to accept a little vtec I think in there for the money that'd be savin .

oh and i got a chuckle out of the flux capacitor comment lol, thanks.

Quick Reply: Vtec before 600 miles?