S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Whine or Whistle from car?

Old 10-09-2002, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine or Whistle from car?

I had a hard top installed about a month ago and haven't had it off much because I am waiting on a hoist. Anyways, I've noticed a lot of new noises with the top on and I was wondering if anyone else has heard this...

At 4th gear there a soft whine that coinsides with pressure on the gas pedal, almost like a turbine engine or maybe a turbo boost. It changes tone with various pressures on the gas. I notice this all the way through 6th but I don't hear it before 4th. I don't have any performance mods on the car so it is a completely stock noise. Any suggestions?

J
Old 10-09-2002, 10:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The hardtop issue has been mentioned before and it would seem that some are worse than others. There is a space on some HTs at the rear base of the side windows where the HT seal is. The seal is sometimes not big enough to plug the hole and the wind whistles through there. Some owners have reported that their dealer got them a new seal and has cured the problem. Others have done this and the noise is still there. In these cases, either the HT or the actual window needs to be adjusted. I have a slight whistle but it's not that bad and I'm not really bothered by it so I left it alone.
As for the "engine whistle", this is usually associated with an aftermarket intake like my AEM CAI. But since you don't have one, you may still have an intake leak. Check to make sure your air box lid is properly snapped shut and is sealed well around the intake tube where the filter is attached. Also make sure that the filter is properly seated in that intake tube and the pin on the narrow end is seated into the corresponding hole in the base of the airbox. This noise is normal for the AEM but not for the stock system.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:11 AM

Check under your hood to see if someone broke into your garage and installed a Turbocharger or Supercharger on your car while you were sleeping. That might explain the whistling.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by baxdatass
Check under your hood to see if someone broke into your garage and installed a Turbocharger or Supercharger on your car while you were sleeping. That might explain the whistling.
I'm afraid if I look then I won't be able to pretend that I have one anymore

Well, I've checked the air box and everything seems tight. If I have the engine rev while I have the hood up I can't hear the whistle. The only time I hear it is when I am in 4th or higher. I checked all the seals to the hard-top but it looks fine and the whistle doesn't really sound like wind. It is tied too closely with the pressure on the gas pedal. It will rise and fall just by varying the pressure on the pedal. I guess I'll just chalk this one up to some type of engine noise that I can only hear with the hard-top on

Thanks for the help Xviper.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I have the same sound but it sounds more like a whir. Not sure what it is, can't hear it with the hood up. However, I have another noise that maybe someone can help. Just got the TSB done for the buzzing sound and when I got home, I checked the engine and now it makes a sound similar to scraping a brillo pad across a frying pan (closest analogy I could think of) coming from the front of the engine. It's close to the belt and pulleys. I was wondering if the dealer needed to remove the belt while replacing the clutch? What else could be making the sound? Called the dealer and will have them look at it. But if I can fix it myself, I would rather not take it to them. I have a distrust for dealers. I may take it to my favorite tuner mechanic.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jehman
[B]

I'm afraid if I look then I won't be able to pretend that I have one anymore
Old 10-10-2002, 05:11 PM

I hear a faint whistle when my car is idleing in the garage. It seems most noticable when the engine is cold. Having heard some of the CAI's whistle, I figured it was related to the stock intake. Maybe its the fuel pump or something else, but it sounds like an air related noise.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by MyBad
I hear a faint whistle when my car is idleing in the garage. It seems most noticable when the engine is cold.
I get this one too but it is a higher pitch than the one I hear at 4th gear. It kinda sounds like some kind of electrical unit powering up (at cold idle). I figure that has to be something associated with cold starting. Is there an electrical oil pump involved?
Old 10-11-2002, 07:45 AM

I can't help you with the 4th gear thing. I suggest you post in the Under the Hood forum.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:55 AM

you must have a super or turbocharger then without knowing it!

Quick Reply: Whine or Whistle from car?