S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why Konis/Springs instead of Bilstein PSS9?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Konis/Springs instead of Bilstein PSS9?

I've been looking in to getting an aftermarket suspension for some time and I need some help deciding what type of setup I should go for. My car is my DD and I occassionally do some spirited driving as well as an occassional autox/track day (nothing hardcore though - just for fun). With that said, I thought my best bet was going to be a set of BIlstein PSS9s. However, I want to spend as little money as possible without compromising quality and I've heard lots of people saying that I should just get Koni's and springs instead of PSS9s. What do you all think? Since I'm not a hardcore racer any reason to go for the PSS9s instead of keeping it cheap with the Konis and springs? The Bilsteins seem like a higher quality component, but then again they are an extra $500. Need some opinions - thanks!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coilovers are overkill except for 2 reasons:

1) Bling - absolutely have to be able to adjust ride height to anything you want

2) Racing - if you need to adjust compression & rebound stiffness, then it is usually cheaper to get a coilover. If you need flexibility to run different spring rates, then a coilover can be easier. If you want to corner balance without welding weights, then coilovers are pretty much necessary.

If you just want a nice looking drop and are cost conscious, then Konis & springs are the best bet. Konis are also a very nice street shock...much softer in compression, so they take bumps very well...but can be very stiff in rebound for spirited driving.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,May 22 2007, 01:00 PM

1) Bling - absolutely have to be able to adjust ride height to anything you want

2) Racing - if you need to adjust compression & rebound stiffness, then it is usually cheaper to get a coilover. If you need flexibility to run different spring rates, then a coilover can be easier. If you want to corner balance without welding weights, then coilovers are pretty much necessary.

If you just want a nice looking drop and are cost conscious, then Konis & springs are the best bet. Konis are also a very nice street shock...much softer in compression, so they take bumps very well...but can be very stiff in rebound for spirited driving.
I think you may have just convinved me to get konis + eibach pro spings instead of the PSS9s.

So other than the adjustability and bling, there really isn't any obvious advantage to getting the PSS9s? All I really want is a stiffer ride with less body roll, better absorbtion of the bumps (the stock suspension gets a bit nervous on rough roads), and a nice 1 - 1.25 inch drop all around.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check out Ground Control coilovers. They are the best of both worlds. A lot of members love these. Do a search for them. This is what I plan on upgrading to.

Ground Control
Old 05-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by soundguy,May 22 2007, 02:01 PM
You should check out Ground Control coilovers. They are the best of both worlds. A lot of members love these. Do a search for them. This is what I plan on upgrading to.

Ground Control
Interesting. Thanks for passing along the info. I'll check these out.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 PM

i said hell with the koni and springs and bought Tein Flex's
Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JanNov s2k,May 22 2007, 02:47 PM
i said hell with the koni and springs and bought Tein Flex's
So why did you decide to go with Tein Flex's over the Koni's and Springs?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,May 22 2007, 01:00 PM

100%
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superjimbo,May 22 2007, 01:33 PM
I think you may have just convinved me to get konis + eibach pro spings instead of the PSS9s.

So other than the adjustability and bling, there really isn't any obvious advantage to getting the PSS9s? All I really want is a stiffer ride with less body roll, better absorbtion of the bumps (the stock suspension gets a bit nervous on rough roads), and a nice 1 - 1.25 inch drop all around.
I'm pretty sure you had already talked yourself into the setup before you made the thread

Obviously the setup will not be as precise as a matched coilover setup, but it sounds like, even from your first post, you do not really care about that as long as you have a nice drop, better handling, and a softer ride. Sounds like you have a winner with the Koni/Ground Control combo, but then you're pricing yourself in with coilover systems ... decisions, decisons....