S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will Test pipe on a stock S2K do anything?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Jul 17 2006, 07:07 AM
Who gives a damn about low-midrange power. That's what my 4.77 gears are for. Test pipes make power. 70mm exhausts with test pipes make over 10 rwhp. Have fun getting walked on by my car.
And all you care about in life is being faster in your car? Go you, you win in life.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^that sir, is a fallacy.

I never stated that all I care about in life is being faster in my car. However, the S2000 feels slow in a straight line to me in stock form so I did something about it. It's my hobby. I also have many other hobbies, am soon finish my undergrad, and have a wonderful girlfriend of three years.

My one test pipe isn't going to ruin the world. I am not democrat. I am not liberal. I don't like the green party. I don't attend environmental meetings nor do I ever plan to. I don't recycle; I throw my beer bottles away in the trash along with plastic milk jugs, and soda cans. I buy styrofoam anything just as soon as I would plastic.

Not to mention... the test pipe sheds 10 pounds from your car.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jul 17 2006, 10:48 AM
I LOVE my S2000, I'd love for it to have more power, though not at the expense of increasing it's toxic pollutant emissions by 15,000% or so.
I understand you're much more qualified in this field than probably any of the other posters in this thread (certainly me), but isn't 15,000% a huge exageration? I know on the RSX-S, I read a thread about someone who put a cat. conveter cover on their test pipe and went to the emissions test and passed with flying colors. There was one pollutant it measured that was getting kind of high, but it still passed, and every other pollutant they measured easily passed.
I'm all for helping the enviornment, and also am an advocate for alternative methods of power for cars (be it electric or hydrogen), but until those come out, I'm going to enjoy my little Honda gas engine.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be adding the megan resonated testpipe to my stock car this week...I'll try to check back in here afterwards with results
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 AM

Passing an emissions test depends on several factors including the type of test, Many just are OBDII tests. Tests using actual sniffers have to be calibrated to lowest common denominator standards, meaning they have to pass cars which are at or below maximum allowable emissions for a passenger car.. As an LEV the off the shelf S2000 falls Very Very far below that point.

Catalytic converters don't reduce CO2 greenhouse emissions.
They are designed to reduce; NOx (smog and acid rain) emissions, CO (deadly toxic colorless oderless gas) emissions. and Hydrocarbon emissions (unburned products of incomplete combustion) Which they do in combination with the engines' O2 sensors in conjunction with the ECU, to keep the engine running as close as possibe to the Stoichiometric ideal ratio of 14.7:1 (complete combustion) And at doing that it is Approximately 150 times more efficient than a car without an emissions control system producing the same output. Hence my 15,000% statement.

I am not an expert in auto emissions systems, this is (or should be) common knowledge stuff. My fiance is currently using her Ph.D working for Shaw Environmental Group primarily doing MTBE (cancer causing gasoline additive) and Hydrocarbon contamination of groundwater mitigation.. she's way more into and knowledgeable about the technical end of this stuff than I'll ever be.
Just an FYI, she refers to test pipes as "Imbecile Pipes" The same way that I refer to the Vtec low temp rev limiter as the "Idiot limiter"

Hey Afwfjustin, Where can I find some of these "Environmental meetings" of which you speak?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most modern car's aren't even sniff tested for emissions. If you can fool the ECU into thinking the cat's there and working, you can get through emissions. At least here in VA. (OBD2 readyness). This to you Jackup to show that your example's probably BS.

All I'm hearing is BS though. Show me a back to back dyno trace you "test pipe" people. Seat of the pants means nothing. You can't even feel 10 hp. You guys sound like the "hyper-grounding" people. More performance mods that do nothing but, empty your wallet.

I'm no hippy. I'd take it off myself if I thought it made a lick of difference to my normal drive.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 AM

On a stock exhasut it will make it sounds different. It is slightly louder and sounds a bit more "tuned." now if ou have a after market header and test pipe combo with an OEM exhaust like I do, it sounds even better. REAlly deep, bassy, tuned sound. no drone obviously.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Aze85,Jul 17 2006, 09:26 AM
On a stock exhasut it will make it sounds different. It is slightly louder and sounds a bit more "tuned." now if ou have a after market header and test pipe combo with an OEM exhaust like I do, it sounds even better. REAlly deep, bassy, tuned sound. no drone obviously.
does it sound raspy at all?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM

YES, it IS worth it on a stock exhaust... you lose weight and gain noticeable power. It gives the midrange a nice throaty sound. If you have emissions just get the stock cat heat shield welded onto it.... noone will notice. The only drawback is 1. you can smell it (tho i kinda like it, so it may not be a drawback) and 2. If you dont wash the car regularly it will turn the bumper yellow (it washes off tho). SHould you add an exhaust then it is REALLY REALLY worth it as its usually combined to make around 10-18hp depending on the setup.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBulletS2K,Jul 17 2006, 02:43 PM
does it sound raspy at all?
not really. when u get to really high rpms there is a metallic noise, but not a rapsy ricer sound. its a good sound

Quick Reply: Will Test pipe on a stock S2K do anything?